File Size for new ATV format (inc AC3) of a DVD

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
natasha69

File Size for new ATV format (inc AC3) of a DVD

Post by natasha69 »

Start with DVD at roughly 4.5GB, converted to new ATV format with AC3 passthrough included. What would the rough file size be of the new file?

Thanks in advance.
N
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: File Size for new ATV format (inc AC3) of a DVD

Post by dynaflash »

Completely depends on your settings and the length of the movie. Detailed info can be found here to help you calculate it.
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... 3&start=20
natasha69

Post by natasha69 »

ok thanks. so its bitrate X length of movie in seconds. fair enough.

what bitrate would be used for an ATV then?

or better yet, if someone could just post the approximate size of an encoded movie, that would be fantastic.
andyg88

Post by andyg88 »

There is no approximate as such, it really does depend on the settings you use. But if it helps, 2500 kbps is not unreasonable, so a two hour movie would be around the 2 GB mark.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

natasha69 wrote:ok thanks. so its bitrate X length of movie in seconds. fair enough.

what bitrate would be used for an ATV then?

or better yet, if someone could just post the approximate size of an encoded movie, that would be fantastic.
The bitrate of the AppleTV plugin is 2500 I believe (I don't know for sure as I don't use the preset). Based on that, the math is pretty straight forward, do you really need someone to spoonfeed you an answer? :roll:
natasha69

Post by natasha69 »

thanks guys. at best buy and just needed some info for sizing. :)
flybynight

Post by flybynight »

If it helps, my encode of "300" was about 2.25Gb - this was at 2500kbps, dual-pass, with AC3 passthrough only (no AAC track).
Buy lots and lots of Gb's... or Tb's! Can probably find better deals online than at Big Buy.
Anyone know of an affordable 4- or 5-bay enclosure with RAID 5 support and either FW800 or eSATA interface? I found some, but they are spendy...
natasha69

Post by natasha69 »

flybynight wrote:If it helps, my encode of "300" was about 2.25Gb - this was at 2500kbps, dual-pass, with AC3 passthrough only (no AAC track).
Buy lots and lots of Gb's... or Tb's! Can probably find better deals online than at Big Buy.
Anyone know of an affordable 4- or 5-bay enclosure with RAID 5 support and either FW800 or eSATA interface? I found some, but they are spendy...
yea, i'm online now. i was considering a DNS-323, but constrained by 2 hard drives. but then again, price is not all that bad.

was thinking about putting ISO's on RAID 5 enclosure, and then creating copies of ATV format and iPhone format on a RAID 0 enclosure.

For now at least, need to just make the ISO backups.