AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Post Reply
MichaelLAX

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by MichaelLAX »

"VisualHub 1.31 now adds the ability to encode 5.1 surround output for output on the Apple TV. Video sources with 5.1 AC3 audio will have their audio track passed through to the finished file, according to Techspansion -- the video will be converted for optimal playback on the Apple TV." -- MacWorld
Cavalicious
Moderator
Posts: 1804
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:07 am

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by Cavalicious »

...the video will be converted for optimal playback on the Apple TV."
...
flybynight
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by flybynight »

So for those of us who aren't able to work with the source files (aka, don't want to come crawling back to the forums when I screw something up), is there any way to get a compiled version with the new tweaks? Can someone who has compiled the latest build post a link to it? Or is that a no-no?
...understood of course that it wouldn't be an "official" release and that both stability and support would be "optional." :wink:
dynaflash
Veteran User
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by dynaflash »

flybynight wrote:Or is that a no-no?
...understood of course that it wouldn't be an "official" release and that both stability and support would be "optional." :wink:
Its a no no for the very reason you winked.
nightstrm
Veteran User
Posts: 1887
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:43 am

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by nightstrm »

MichaelLAX wrote:"VisualHub 1.31 now adds the ability to encode 5.1 surround output for output on the Apple TV. Video sources with 5.1 AC3 audio will have their audio track passed through to the finished file, according to Techspansion -- the video will be converted for optimal playback on the Apple TV." -- MacWorld
Thank you so much for posting this. :roll:
BobVB@mac.com
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by BobVB@mac.com »

dbendixen wrote:"new files" being the AC-3 passthrough files? I wonder what's different about the files that doesn't let the artwork stick?
Considering how much faster iTunes adds the artwork than MetaX writes the tags I would guess iTunes is using some 'cheat' to add the pictures that doesn't work when there's just the ac3 audio track. MetaX added art works just fine. All my immediate gratification impulses concerning DD5.1 and AppleTV 2 are now satiated - now its just wait for the official release.
nightstrm
Veteran User
Posts: 1887
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:43 am

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by nightstrm »

BobVB@mac.com wrote:
dbendixen wrote:"new files" being the AC-3 passthrough files? I wonder what's different about the files that doesn't let the artwork stick?
Considering how much faster iTunes adds the artwork than MetaX writes the tags I would guess iTunes is using some 'cheat' to add the pictures that doesn't work when there's just the ac3 audio track. MetaX added art works just fine. All my immediate gratification impulses concerning DD5.1 and AppleTV 2 are now satiated - now its just wait for the official release.
Getting off-topic, but I think that iTunes simply saves the artwork in the database, thus not needed to rewrite the entire file. This doesn't always happen though... I've had iTunes take a couple seconds before, up to a good 5 minutes.
dynaflash
Veteran User
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by dynaflash »

For a while we saw tagging issues when we intially released 6 channel discrete aac. Something about the tracks or something. Who knows.
MichaelLAX

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by MichaelLAX »

BobVB@mac.com wrote:Considering how much faster iTunes adds the artwork than MetaX writes the tags I would guess iTunes is using some 'cheat' to add the pictures that doesn't work when there's just the ac3 audio track. MetaX added art works just fine.
Rather than use MetaX to actually inject the artwork and metadata into the mp4 file, I use the EXPORT function under the FILES menu to do a save as the same name as the movie and I find that ATVFiles and nitoTV Files both read the artwork and metadata.

This method also works on non-supported files, such as mov, avi, mkv, etc. (you just have to have MetaX open some mp4 file, so that its features [such as searching, etc.] will work).

Because of this I rarely, use iTunes to send over H.264 files anymore; I just send them over to the "back door," EXPORT the metadata with MetaX, and since I have another AppleTV networked to access my original AppleTV's 160Gig disk, I see the metadata and can play the files over the network.

This method also eliminates the possibility of mp4 file corruption.
dynaflash
Veteran User
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by dynaflash »

Okay, lets keep this ship on course, this is about AppleTV and Dolby 5.1. There are plenty of threads talking about circuitous tagging methods to discuss it there. I only pointed out a working method for 5.1.

And as far as your post about VH. I am sure we are all aware of it as had been mentioned several times. Thanks for the update.
flybynight
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by flybynight »

dynaflash wrote:Its a no no for the very reason you winked.
Oh well. A guy can hope, right? Any ETA on the next release? A few days? A few weeks? A few months?
Just curious so I can plan if I should hold off encoding or not. No pressure. :wink:
The devs probably don't hear this enough, but you are VERY appreciated! :mrgreen:
...a little sucking up couldn't hurt, right?
dynaflash
Veteran User
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by dynaflash »

I cannot say for sure. I *can* tell you that one of the big holdups was waiting for the atv2 to find out what to do about the surround sound issue and how long it would take to get it into HandBrake. I can also tell you I am holding up on re-encoding my library for the atv. I might suggest you do the same. But of course thats up to you.
dbendixen
Regular User
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by dbendixen »

My test encode of Night at the Museum with the new AC3 option yielded a file that would not play in QT. Is this because they're only compatible with the ATV?
dynaflash
Veteran User
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by dynaflash »

right now qt needs perian to play it. Like we said, its not done. :)
dbendixen
Regular User
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by dbendixen »

I want to get a charity setup for you guys. You do a lot of work for nothing. It's pretty amazing.
misajay
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:46 am

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by misajay »

dynaflash wrote:I can also tell you I am holding up on re-encoding my library for the atv. I might suggest you do the same. But of course thats up to you.
Thank you very much dynaflash... Coming from a dev rather than simple user opinion, I would say this is great advice and gives wonderful hope of things to come. Thanks! :D
lordeagle
Regular User
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:26 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by lordeagle »

I believe I read somewhere they do this for themselves ;) Dynaflash just said he's holding off his own re-encoding process. They just "happen" to be sharing HB with the world.

I'm a dev myself, so I won't ask you guys how long before this or that, just knowing (from the test I just read about) that you've managed to get this working is great news. It'll be done when it's done. The one thing thats 99.9% sure, is that it'll be out before Duke Nukem Forever :lol:
kagharaht
Regular User
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by kagharaht »

dynaflash wrote:I cannot say for sure. I *can* tell you that one of the big holdups was waiting for the atv2 to find out what to do about the surround sound issue and how long it would take to get it into HandBrake. I can also tell you I am holding up on re-encoding my library for the atv. I might suggest you do the same. But of course thats up to you.
I'm holding off too, but I just want to experiment a bit, well because its kinda fun and educational. The build work, so thank you again for the tips, pedvas and dynaflash. Time to have some fun with it. :D
GoodOmens
Regular User
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by GoodOmens »

dynaflash wrote:right now qt needs perian to play it. Like we said, its not done. :)
I noticed in the SVN version you guys are only using one track for the audio (AC3).

I remember reading somewhere the apple version uses two tracks: One for AC3 and one for AAC. Is this what you mean by "working" on it? Trying to get both tracks encoded into the file?
nightstrm
Veteran User
Posts: 1887
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:43 am

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by nightstrm »

GoodOmens wrote:
dynaflash wrote:right now qt needs perian to play it. Like we said, its not done. :)
I noticed in the SVN version you guys are only using one track for the audio (AC3).

I remember reading somewhere the apple version uses two tracks: One for AC3 and one for AAC. Is this what you mean by "working" on it? Trying to get both tracks encoded into the file?
Among other issues, yes.

I'm holding out hope that the iPhone will allow a file with both soundtracks (AAC+AC3) to be transferred over. A pipedream maybe...
dynaflash
Veteran User
Posts: 3820
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by dynaflash »

Like I said .. its not done and we are working on it. :)
kagharaht
Regular User
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by kagharaht »

Simply awesome. DD 5.1 sounds superb on my 7.1 well 7.2 really since I have 2 subs. The walls rocked as they have never done before with the DPLII to DPLIIx decoding. Audio video sync worked perfectly. MetaX had no problems tagging the file at all. Great job you guys!!! This really brings ATV up to a higher level. :D
GoodOmens
Regular User
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by GoodOmens »

I got a "invalid sample description" in quicktime (and itunes wouldn't add) using base atv settings with the change to selecting the mp4/ac3 option using build 1265.

I'm trying a different DVD to make sure it wasn't the movie. Anyone else experience this? I know svn is not supported just curious if this is a bug or just user error on my part.
petvas
Regular User
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:00 am

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by petvas »

GoodOmens wrote:I got a "invalid sample description" in quicktime (and itunes wouldn't add) using base atv settings with the change to selecting the mp4/ac3 option using build 1265.

I'm trying a different DVD to make sure it wasn't the movie. Anyone else experience this? I know svn is not supported just curious if this is a bug or just user error on my part.
Does your file have an m4v extension? If not, rename it!
GoodOmens
Regular User
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by GoodOmens »

petvas wrote:
GoodOmens wrote:I got a "invalid sample description" in quicktime (and itunes wouldn't add) using base atv settings with the change to selecting the mp4/ac3 option using build 1265.

I'm trying a different DVD to make sure it wasn't the movie. Anyone else experience this? I know svn is not supported just curious if this is a bug or just user error on my part.
Does your file have an m4v extension? If not, rename it!
Aha! :oops:

(thanks!)
Post Reply