How do we backup the presets and app preferences?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DataMeister

How do we backup the presets and app preferences?

Post by DataMeister »

The Upgrade Notice on version 1.4.1 says to make a backup of any custom presets and app preferences.
https://github.com/HandBrake/HandBrake/ ... /tag/1.4.1

How do we backup the presets. I tried "Presets > Export to File" and that seems to only have the default custom preset.

For app preferences I don't see any option at all for exporting.

What is the procedure here?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: How do we backup the presets and app preferences?

Post by s55 »

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake
By default the files are stored here, so maybe take a copy in case you want to revert back for any reason.

I'd note that while we "try" to upgrade presets, it's not always possible. How encoders react changes over time thus sometimes it's better to just make new presets. for example, between HandBrake 1.2 to 1.4, the x265 project changed substantially and thus, any x265 based presets are probably better being redone.

There is no import/export settings so you can use the file as a reference or just remember/note the settings you had before/after. In most cases, it should upgrade just fine by itself but it does depend on what version your starting on. As a general rule with any app, always good to go have a poke around in settings to see what's available and what defaults are.