How to get storage size and display size equal to source ratio aspect?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
BenBrum

How to get storage size and display size equal to source ratio aspect?

Post by BenBrum »

I am trying out Handbrake and am quite a newbie.

I am facing the challenge how to get my storage size equal to my display size and both equalizing with the source video format. I checked the forum but so far couldn’t find an answer.

I got video files (digitized pretty old Hi 8 tapes).They are mpg format and have an aspect ratio 720x576. And FPS 25. I want to convert them into mp4 format with the same aspect ratio.

First I tried the preset of Fast 576p25.
Then my Summary tab showed a storage size of 708x574 and display size of 755x574. Assuming that storage size should be the same as the aspect ratio of the source I adjusted the storage size to 720x576 . However, the storage and display sizes on the summary didn’t change. Cropping and anamorphic settings were Automatic & Auto with this Preset.

As the chosen Preset didn’t give me the source aspect ratio (720x576) for both the storage and display size I tried some different Cropping & Anamorphic combinations to achieve this and make my own preset.

So for entering a storage size 720x576 I tried the following combinations with their results as shown on the Summary tab.

a).Cropping automatic and anamorphic automatic gave storage 708x574 & display 755x574;
b). Cropping automatic & anamorphic off gave storage 708x538 & display 708x538;
c). Cropping custom (4 x zero's) & anamorphic off gave storage 720x540 & display 720 x 540;
d). cropping custom (4x zero's) & anamorphic automatic gave storage 720x576 & display 768x576.

None of these combinations gave me the desired result of 720x576 for both storage and display size.

English is not my mother tongue so I might have misunderstood some esential things in the guidelines. Eg about cropping and anamorphic.

Please could someone give me some advice to get display size equal to storage size equal to source ratio?

Thanx in advance for any advice

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
N/A

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
latest Nightly verssion

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

MacOS Catalina

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

I could see all the output sizes on the Summary and Dimension Tab before starting encoding.

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: How to get storage size and display size equal to source ratio aspect?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The big question is... why?

Your source file doesn't have storage = display, so why would your output?
BenBrum

Post by BenBrum »

@mduell: Good question.

As a newbie I thought that it would sound logical to get the display size resolution the same as the source size resolution. And as storage size dimension should be entered the source dimension. But your remark gives me the idea that my thinking is not quite correct.

I guess that I still don't fully understand the concepts of storage size, cropping and anamorphic.
If you don't mind to explain me a bit more about it I would really appreciate that. I am still low in the learning curve.

My starting point is my source resolution size. From MediaInfo I learned that my source dimension is 720x576. Is it correct to enter this as storage size?

From your remark I do understand that the display size may vary from the storage size. Is that correct?

What cropping and anamorphic values do I have to enter to get the corresponding or appropriate display size?. Here I become confused.

Thanks in advance
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

With your PAL SD source,

SAR is 5:4
DAR is either 4:3 or 16:9, you didn't say.
PAR is either 1.06_ or 1.42_, respectively.
Those numbers exist by definition, not from something one thinks "sounds logical." There is no reason to change them.

If you want to store your file at display resolution, multiply the storage width by the PAR, but not in Handbrake GUI.
Wikipedia is your friend, and best of luck with your learning.
BenBrum

Post by BenBrum »

@musicvid

Thanks a lot for your info and your interesting wiki suggestions.

Did, due to this, already climb a bit further on my learning curve, eg cropping and anamorphic settings.

Still a lot to explored in the field of HB.

Might come back on this theme.

Anyway thanks