H.265 vs. H.264 for everything Apple?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
oktober42

H.265 vs. H.264 for everything Apple?

Post by oktober42 »

I live in an Apple ecosystem, so the Devices presets for Apple have always served me well. I just converted a bunch of SD content using the "Apple 540p30 Surround" preset, and everything worked as anticipated. Then, like a dummy, I dug in and realized that the "Apple 2160p60 4K HVEC Surround" is the only Apple preset that uses H.265. I've had great success using the next step up to maintain quality as the frame size and frame rate will drop down to my source media in auto.

That being said, as I am a big fan of H.265 and the lower storage space requirements, does it make sense for me to just use "Apple 2160p60 4K HVEC Surround" for everything, or is there a reason to use H.264 on the smaller stuff? I have tried to make my own presets before and always end up screwing them up and making the video look terrible.

Thanks forum!
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: H.265 vs. H.264 for everything Apple?

Post by rollin_eng »

If your devices will play h265 go with it, if you can tolerate the slower encode speeds.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Unless you're targeting very low bitrates (i.e. mid to low quality), H.265 doesn't have much advantage over H.264 at the smaller frame sizes (below 4K) to justify the reduced encoding speed.

If you do use a 4K preset with low res content, you'll want to bump the RF down a couple points.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Encoding SD to x265 has no real advantages because of source limitations, and increases your encoding times. I don't suggest it.
oktober42

Post by oktober42 »

Thanks for the responses! I opted to go back and re-encode in 265 since I use cloud backup and space is a factor. I have a standalone machine that doubles as an excellent space heater, so I don't mind the slow encode time.
Jimmdean2
New User

Post by Jimmdean2 »

Similar situation here - all Apple, but I have only just recently started using the 4k preset as I have acquired 4k material.

But lets say I am going to be doing the Star Trek TNG complete series blurays - not 4K mind you, but still high-quality 1080P content and reference for the material.

I'd like to say I should stick to the 4k preset and just bump down the RF a little.

Thoughts?