Help with settings please

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Mr.alan

Help with settings please

Post by Mr.alan »

Description of problem or question:

Hi all
So i guess this hopefully is a general question and hopefully easily answered by knowledgeable members
I have put all my home videos ( from the 80s ) on Dvds I done this about 20 years ago on a jvc video Dvd machine . You simply popped your vhs tape in and a blank dvd - and job done . Now I want to transfer these dvds on to a Hd for posterity and so you can watch on Tv from the Hard Drive

I’ve gleaned the net to look for best settings for Handbrake - my goal is to have the best quality I can - so time is not a issue .

Can anyone tell me the very best settings overall .

Thanks in advance

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Handbrake 1.12:

iMac - version 10.15.7

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Help with settings please

Post by rollin_eng »

Try just ripping with makemkv, that will hopefully give you a perfect copy.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Settings are largely inconsequential beyond matching resolution and frame rate, as the presets are already overkill for your VHS transfers, which are the limiting quality factor. Choose the preset that matches your DVD source. You can't make a DVD into "HD," no matter what you've read.
Logs are required for individual support.
mbullard

Post by mbullard »

I see Handbrake lists the Source (Yesvideo, 720x480, 29.97 fps, 1 audio track) when I load the DVD. Is there a quality difference for Very Fast 720p30 and Fast 720p30? The Default is Fast 1080p30, is that better quality?
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Theoretically, yes. With DVD source, not likely.