HQ 576p and HQ 720p presets cause banding and artifacting. Help me find RF values to increase quality.

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
minionhd

HQ 576p and HQ 720p presets cause banding and artifacting. Help me find RF values to increase quality.

Post by minionhd »

Description of problem or question:

I'm ripping my DVD and Blu-ray collection with the HQ preset, but I'm not happy with the quality.

I encoded the Blu-ray of Joker and the grain was smeared out and a lot of detail was lost. An encode of the Deadpool Blu-ray was blocky in dark scenes and my DVD encodes of The Departed and Mr. Robot had blotchiness and banding in the background.

The HQ 576p preset uses RF18 and the HQ 720p preset uses RF19, which are too high. What are sane RF values to increase the quality?

I don't use the Super HQ presets, because they use _veryslow_, which takes too long.

I tried the regular HQ presets with 2-pass encoding and the default bitrates of 2700 kbps (SD) and 4500 kbps (HD). The results were TRANSPARENT to the sources, so the encoding speed on _slow_ is fine. It's only the RF that needs tweaking.

What are sane RF values under RF19 for 720p and under RF18 for 480/576p? Please help. Thanks!

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: HQ 576p and HQ 720p presets cause banding and artifacting. Help me find RF values to increase quality.

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Deleted User 13735

Re: HQ 576p and HQ 720p presets cause banding and artifacting. Help me find RF values to increase quality.

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

What are sane RF values under RF19 for 720p and under RF18 for 480/576p?
There are none that I know of, because the encoded file starts to become larger than the original file (with motion detail source).

You can keep shadow grain at a higher "quality" by keeping vbv-bufsize and vbv-maxrate closer to the same value, because doing so will raise the effective minimum bitrate. The technique may work better with ABR than with RF encoding.
Attachments
bufsizecomp.png
bufsizecomp.png (39.16 KiB) Viewed 577 times