Folder processing. How to embed only forced subtitles?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
farmay

Folder processing. How to embed only forced subtitles?

Post by farmay »

Hello friends.

I need to process a lot of files.
The files are in MKV format and have multiple subtitle tracks (forced RU, full RU, full ENG, and so on.
I need to process a folder with a thousand files in order to embed only forced RU subtitles into MP4, not full.

All films have a Russian audio track, I need small subtitles <10% I can't do it as written in the instructions. Sorry for my English. I am using Windows application. Thank you.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Folder processing. How to embed only forced subtitles?

Post by Woodstock »

Are you using the command line interface?

If you're using the graphic user interface, you can use a selection rule using a preferred language of Russian, and make sure "Add 'Foreign Audio Scan'' in the subtitle defaults screen is checked. Save that as part of your preset.

If you then add files, the first subtitle will (hopefully!) be the one that is in Russian and fits the "forced only" criteria.
farmay

Post by farmay »

Woodstock wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:49 pm Are you using the command line interface?

If you're using the graphic user interface, you can use a selection rule using a preferred language of Russian, and make sure "Add 'Foreign Audio Scan'' in the subtitle defaults screen is checked. Save that as part of your preset.

If you then add files, the first subtitle will (hopefully!) be the one that is in Russian and fits the "forced only" criteria.

Friend, I first need to embed Russian voice acting from mkv into Mp4, and then run the program again and embed subtitles as you advise?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

You can make one pass to convert from MKV to MP4, embedding the subtitles as you go. But selecting the track to include is not always obvious.

The selection behaviour tab allows you to prioritize Russian for subtitles. The Foreign Audio Scan will attempt to find a Russian track that has 10% or fewer subtitles than the largest Russian track.

If that works, it will be the first subtitle track in the MP4.

But this is not guaranteed to work. Sometimes, the language data on a track is not correct, so the tracks are missed. Sometimes there are more than 10% "forced" subtitles, so the foreign audio scan does not find the correct track. But it should cover most movie-type files.
farmay

Post by farmay »

Woodstock wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:24 am You can make one pass to convert from MKV to MP4, embedding the subtitles as you go. But selecting the track to include is not always obvious.

The selection behaviour tab allows you to prioritize Russian for subtitles. The Foreign Audio Scan will attempt to find a Russian track that has 10% or fewer subtitles than the largest Russian track.

If that works, it will be the first subtitle track in the MP4.

But this is not guaranteed to work. Sometimes, the language data on a track is not correct, so the tracks are missed. Sometimes there are more than 10% "forced" subtitles, so the foreign audio scan does not find the correct track. But it should cover most movie-type files.

And how to make this file sewn into the movie? I can't make a movie, I tried all the combinations, but Russian forced subtitles are not sewn in.
farmay

Post by farmay »

I need to process a lot of files, I need to process all files in a folder automatically and embed forced subtitles into the movie.
MuhChicken

Post by MuhChicken »

Go check out VidCoder (https://vidcoder.net/)

I use this one all the time to burn Subtitles into Anime. It is basically a better graphical user interface (GUI) for Handbrake and still uses Handbrake on the back end. I set up several pre-sets in the Picker like 1) 480p with sub track 1 burned in, 2) 480p with sub track 2 burned in, and 3) 480p with subs available just in case I want to skip burning in the subs, but still take advantage of the compression of Handbrake. Of course I also setup 4, 5, and 6 for 1080p content with the same selections and even set it to keep folder structure in the output after encoding. Once you get it setup like you want it you can drag a whole folder of Anime into it and it'll setup the queue for you so all you have to do it click the Encode button and walk away for several hours. When it is done encoding you can check your output files and make sure everything is good, then just delete the originals or back them up somewhere so you still have them just in case. I only ever ran into one Anime that had the subs reversed in one episode and of course the one episode was the one I used to determine which picker to use... So, check several episodes before deciding to pick sub track 1 or 2!