galaxy s10 - Jeykll & Hyde

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
andy-the-till-man

galaxy s10 - Jeykll & Hyde

Post by andy-the-till-man »

Hi - ive been chasing this problem now for a couple of years and im at the end o my tether!
i have an xpenology NAS with an I3 processor and 2gig of ram - hosting an Emby Media server - the very latest version.
serving to a Samsung galaxy S10, a dell I5 Laptop and a samsung Smart Tv.

Inside my network - no issues with anything but uhd content - i can live with that. Most of my media is compressed to m4v
and mp4, web optimised, film tuned, main Profile. H264 level 3.2 Peak frame rate 30 - constant quality slider set to 28 - slow or slower.

this has generally worked or me - server to laptop via wifi with the occasional exception.
the server is cabled throuugh my gigabit rouuter to the samsung tv - this buffers significantly.
the samsung galaxy s10 - also has acceptable performance within the lan. ............then comes the nightmare!

My goal is to be able to stream to the phone via the internet - i get 30Mb down, 10-12 Up - from my isp
when i try this - i get unwatchable results - no matter what i do - evendropping the bitrate to 320mbs

ive tried multiple different cables routers isp settings - even different isps [thanks neighbours] wired/wireless - wireless dongles - the lot nothing works. (Ive alwas thought it was an emby or xpenology issue)

quite by chance the other day, i had my laptop connected to the internet via the galaxy s10 - tethered. It Plays seamlesly!

my question to the community is, is it even easable that its an encoding iissue - whereby the phone can cope with it within my lan - yet throws a wobbly via the web?

Im not even sure that its a handbrake issue - but im running out of things to try

any suggestions - perhaps a start encoding rom scratch approach? all would be greatully received
Thanks in advance
Andy

Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: galaxy s10 - Jeykll & Hyde

Post by Woodstock »

There are too many places where the problem could lie that anything we can offer is just a guess.

When the laptop was using the phone as a hotspot, was the phone able to play "flawlessly", or just the laptop? If the laptop can play via the phone, but not the phone, that would indicate that the phone can get the data fast enough, but it cannot display it at full speed.
andy-the-till-man

Post by andy-the-till-man »

the laptop played fine - the phone still lagged very badly
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have hardware video acceleration enabled on the phone's player? I know apps like ViMu and VLC allow you to disable the GPU decoders in favor of software (software handles a wider variety of codecs than the on-board hardware).

Reducing the bandwidth used (smaller bit rate) is important when the network is the issue, but your issue seems to be in decoding the stream on the phone, which gets harder at low bit rates. Especially with h265 video; one of my desktops has a 4K screen, but no h265 decoding hardware. It cannot handle 1080p30 h265, let alone 2160p30.