Production Max

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
left-y

Production Max

Post by left-y »

Hi, long time Handbrake user, I have backed-up all my blu-ray disc which is close to 2000 now @ 1920x1080 using Super HQ 1080p Surround preset. MakeMVK to Handbrake and on to my nearly 95 TB of hard drives, size range from 6Gb up to 25Gb.

Anyway yesterday was the first time I ripped one of my 4k UHD movies, of which I now own 15 titles. My first rip was Shazam! and I'm totally unfamiliar with 3840x2160. So I went for the max setting of "Production Max" and the movie Shazam turned out to be 464Gb in size. :cry:

I'm using Handbrake ver 1.3.3 (202061300) and I am now going to try Production Standard. Will I see a significant reduction in size? Why was Production Max so large? Apology's for no Activity Log.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Production Max

Post by rollin_eng »

Do not use the Production presets unless you are in a production setting.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The production presets are intended as intermediaries for editing, and not for storage/playback.

The other 2160p presets will usually result in a size reduction.

Although none of them will pass through HDR or DolbyVision video, so that would be a consideration. If those matter to you, sticking with the as-ripped file might be your best bet for now.
left-y

Post by left-y »

Hi Woodstock, yes HDR and DolbyVision are a consideration for me. Are you suggestion I use the mkv file and not convert to a mp4? Or is there a preset in Handbrake you suggest for converting to a mp4?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

HB does not support HDR or DolbyVision encoding so if you want them then stick with your original or try other software, I don’t know of any to recommend.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Over on the MakeMKV forum, there are a few HUGE threads on converting Dolby Vision to MP4 and MKV files. Huge as in hundreds of pages, explaining what tools you need to get the job done, what players work, etc. Check the UHD section if you're bored... :)
left-y

Post by left-y »

Ok, thank you guys for the information. Much appreciated. I do have a blu-ray drive capable of playing and ripping 4k UHD, however with only 15 movies so far, I had no need to learn how to rip and convert them. I have a 9.2 receiver and a 85" UHD TV. Finding software that will allow me to encode DolbyVision and all the newer codecs is paramount to me.

Reading through hundreds of forum pages will be tough for me, but you pointed me in the right direction. Thanks again Woodstock and rollin.