Setup recommendation 1080p TS File into MP4 to save space

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Layer0

Setup recommendation 1080p TS File into MP4 to save space

Post by Layer0 »

Description of problem or question:its more a challenge, not a problem
HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0): Handbrake 1.2.0 (2018121700)
Operating system and version :Windows 10 Version 1909 (Build 18.363.1198)

Subject:
Hello all together,
I am using a VU plus receiver/settopbox (Astra Sat)
Recordings of movies are saved as TS-File, which are very large (1080p) and basically most other devices are not able to play.
So i am going to convert them with handbrake, a very wonderful tool ,into MP4.
Those Mp4 i am going to save an a QNAP NAS to play them from everywhere i want (DLNA) in my LAN.

My challenge is: wich set-up is the best to transform/convert to MP4 (2nd choice ist MKV)
I want to stay the resolution at 1920x1080. And i want to get the best balance between resolution and file size.

Many thanx.
musicvid
Veteran User

Re: Setup recommendation 1080p TS File into MP4 to save space

Post by musicvid »

That 100% depends on your player's compatibility with MP4 vs. MKV container.
You will need to test that for yourself on your own setup.
Handbrake MP4 is x264 in an MP4 container. Handbrake MKV is x264 in an MKV container.
That's the only difference.

A word of caution: Sometimes, your broadcast recordings will contain Transport Stream (TS) errors that Handbrake's decoders will not be able to handle gracefully, even though they may seem to play ok. In that case, the stream errors need to be fixed in VideoRedo first. It's worth owning, because it also removes commercials and has a wide range of muxing / encoding options as well. Handbrake is an encoder first, and VideoRedo is a muxer first.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Start with the HQ 1080p preset. See what you do/don't like about the result.

Post your encoding log and your preferences/gripes for more specific suggestions.
Strela_9

Post by Strela_9 »

To make sure it'll work, go for the .mp4 option, it'll do the trick on the huge majority of players, and if it doesn't... then, you should try to get a better player!
But yeah, TS files are a pain to handle, they're much bigger than they should be; in fact, they're the reason why I started using HandBrake, as I had a ton of them, and had to make space on my SSD for a ton of professional files, as we were doing a big report on the new Greek residence permit (removed), and I could neither delete these files or put them elsewhere, as "elsewhere" was already packed full.
And that's when HB came into the picture!