PSP unsupported data

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kelley

PSP unsupported data

Post by kelley »

I saw a great tidbit in MacWorld about Handbrake, so I downloaded it but unfortunately it won't work for me on my PSP version 3.7. I use a Mac with 10.5. When I convert the DVD media using Handbrake 0.9.1 (psp preset) it seemed to convert beautifully. It plays on my Mac. When I download it to my PSP it shows as "unsupported data"

I checked in the forums and tried ALL the different setting suggestions I could find. Still NOTHING. So I tried "Instant Handbrake" it worked perfectly. I have no complaints about the earlier version but I would love to see how much clearer the picture could be (higher resolution etc) using the new Handbrake. I am fairly new to this so could someone help me (very simple english) in correcting whatever it is I am doing wrong?

thanks
bryan4134

Same problem

Post by bryan4134 »

Kelley

I have exactly the same set up as you OS X 10.5 and same PSP version. I am also getting unsupported format error whether I use the standard Handbrake PSP setting or the .264 setting.

So you are not alone!

Bryan
rjirv

PSP unsupported data

Post by rjirv »

I am a total noob, so this is fwiw.

Maybe try a different resolution?

I had this "unsupported data" problem on my second movie I tried to put on my PSP. Handbrake converted the first movie (a widescreen source) to a 368x160 resolution file, and it worked fine. Then I tried a home movie (4x3 aspect ratio), which handbrake (set with default psp settings) converted to a 368x272. This played fine on my mac, but gave me the unsupported data message on my PSP. Just for kicks I overrode the picture setting, and tried 192x144 resolution. It worked fine.

I found the following info on another site (can't vouch for it's accuracy):
"The resolutions supported by Sony PSP is limited to 76800 pixels. So only 320x240, 368x208, [368x160], 400x192 are valid resolutions."
cbitterfield

PSP Handbrake unsupported data issue

Post by cbitterfield »

PSPs are sensitive to size of the format. The new Handbrake allows 368x272 which is not an approved size (According to my research).

I had the same issue.

Try changing the video size to either: 320x240 (4:3) or 368x208 (16:9) and that should work.

Any pixel resolution divisible by 16, and fitting within the confines of the native 76,800 pixel resolution of the PSP is playable.. [According to research]