Encoder profile and level

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
zgmf_x42s_destiny

Encoder profile and level

Post by zgmf_x42s_destiny »

hello handbrake users, i just want to know what would happen if i set the encoder profile and encoder level to "auto"?
i noticed that the output file size is larger (30 to 40 mb) and encoding time is longer (around 30 secs) if i set the two to "auto".
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Encoder profile and level

Post by JohnAStebbins »

profile and level limit the features the encoder uses. They are typically enabled to ensure that the output is compatible with players that support up to some specific profile and level (i.e. not all players support all features of the codec spec).

The more advances settings that are enabled when you switch to auto will increase the encode time and typically also affect the quality and file size of the output.
zgmf_x42s_destiny

Post by zgmf_x42s_destiny »

so if i set the profile and level to "auto" instead of "main and 4.0" (for example), the output file will usually have better quality? but increase longer encode time and file size?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

We need to see encoding logs, since your results are suspicious.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

zgmf_x42s_destiny wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 pm so if i set the profile and level to "auto" instead of "main and 4.0" (for example), the output file will usually have better quality? but increase longer encode time and file size?
Potentially. Depends on what other settings you are using.