Goodbye DVDs - Best Preset Help

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jjmccrae

Goodbye DVDs - Best Preset Help

Post by jjmccrae »

Description of problem or question:
Debated if it was a General Question or Devices and Preset... here goes.

I have a lot of TV Shows and few movies on DVD that I need to get rid off for space reason.
A couple of years ago I converted all TV Shows and movies using Handbrake, and in the last couple of days I started looking at Handbrake again, and noticed some major updates.

I think I should converted my collection again from scratch, in prep to finally get rid of them.

I'd mainly be using my AppleTV and accessing the media via 'computer' on a Samsung QLED 50" tv.
I noticed the preset Apple 2160p60 4K HEVC Surround would that be the best preset/setting to use to convert all my media?

Thanks for any advice, I'm sure I'm not the first person to get drip of all their physical media.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Handbarke Version 1.3.3 (2020061300)
Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
macOS Catalina 10.15.5
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Goodbye DVDs - Best Preset Help

Post by Woodstock »

Generally, the presets with "480" (NTSC) or "576" (PAL) in their names assume the source is an interlaced DVD. They are good starting points.

Choosing a higher-resolution preset won't make the result higher-resolution (the GUI does not upscale), but they may disable decomb/deinterlace and telecine filters by default. These are generally needed for DVD sources.