Quality option for fallback encoding

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hardknox

Quality option for fallback encoding

Post by hardknox »

Description of problem or question:
I'm configuring presets for use with tdarr. I'd like to pass-through AAC, AC3, and EAC3 if available. If the sound stream is DTS or anything else, I'd like to encode using AAC with no downmixing. I've chosen AAC because it supports 7.1. When adding the track for pass-through to the selection criteria, "quality" isn't an option, only bitrate. If I select AAC specifically for the track, I use a quality setting of 8 and let the bitrate be whatever is appropriate. Why is that not an option for the fallback encoder when using pass-through?

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Nightly 20200429183216-bcf0c66-master (2020042901)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
I'm testing in windows to get the preset configured correctly. Then I'll use that preset in tdarr on a linux server running Alpine.

Feedback or general thoughts are all greatly appreciated.
hardknox

Re: Quality option for fallback encoding

Post by hardknox »

I just realized this is probably in the wrong forum since it's not related to a preset for a specific type of device. Would a moderator please move this to an appropriate sub-forum? I was going to delete and re-post, but I don't see a delete option.

Thanks!