Playing x.265 mkv on Roku Smart TV from smb network

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DDE12

Post by DDE12 »

Currently we are watching ripped x.264 mkv's ripped from DVD's on VLC app on Firestick. The files are stored on a Windows PC and this is going well. I am planning to rip/encode my Blu-rays that I don't have digital copies of with Handbrake to x.265 mkv. Will I be able to watch the x.265 mkv's on a Roku smart TV with a media player (other than Plex)? I am looking to looking to by a TCL w/ Roku but might not if this will be a problem. I understand that Plex will (should) work but it is slow to load movies and can be buggy/unpredictable, so would like to confirm that there is another option similar to what I have with VLC on the Firestick. Thank you in advance.
BradleyS

Re: Playing x.265 mkv on Roku Smart TV from smb network

Post by BradleyS »

HandBrake's Roku presets are targeted at standalone Roku devices. My Sharp Roku TVs do play MKV via USB drives but I have only tested H.264. You would need to check the TV's specifications for MKV and H.265/HEVC support. I'm not sure what other media players are available beside the built-in ones, and whether they support SMB.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Leave out the x265 fluff (for SD and HD??) and you should be fine.
DDE12

Post by DDE12 »

I'm hoping someone with a Roku Smart TV will respond that they have successfully played X.265 on the native DLNA player or tried and failed. I have played x.265 videos on my Firestick 4k through VLC. Too bad there is no VLC for Roku devices.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Tried Plex?