i30 to p30 deinterlacing

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
markfilipak
Regular User

i30 to p30 deinterlacing

Post by markfilipak » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:53 pm

I am so impressed by the i30 deinterlace.

My source appears to be a wild, over-the-air (telecast) video (from a DVD!) that's not been tamed for modern digital video, i.e., it appears to be actual i30 (meaning: discrete fields at 60Hz temporal field rate). Since the fields can't be combined as-is, yet HB combines them, there must be some fairly awsome pixel manipulation going on.

I wonder if you devs would share some of your thoughts & experiences regarding transcoding actual i30 to p30? Of interest to me are techniques & ffmpeg libraries used (and associated parameters) & anything else that you had to do to make it work. Did motion compensation enter into it?

Also, in your judgment, is decomb more effective than yadif for this sort of source, or is yadif more effective than decomb, or does selection depend on anything else in particular, and if so, what?

Disclaimer: Due to lack of definitive tools, I'm not totally sure that my source is actually discrete fielded, but it 'acts' like it is.

Regards,
Mark.

mduell
Veteran User

Re: i30 to p30 deinterlacing

Post by mduell » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Enable interlace detection (decomb) and your preferred deinterlacer (mostly speed tradeoffs) when interlacing is found.

If you have sensitivity issues (the classic Family Guy case), you can tweak the interlace detection thresholds, or just disable detection and deinterlace everything.

markfilipak
Regular User

Re: i30 to p30 deinterlacing

Post by markfilipak » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Thanks. I'm hoping for develper responses.