Best Preset: 720x480 Old Videos Uploaded to DailyMotion

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Ocean457

Best Preset: 720x480 Old Videos Uploaded to DailyMotion

Post by Ocean457 »

I have many old family videos that 720x480 AVI files that I want to upload to DailyMotion. I then want to embed those uploaded videos onto my family website. What are the best presets to use when converting the videos in handbrake?

I have been experimenting using different presets and custom presets. One problem I am having with the embedded videos is that the sides of the videos are cropped when playing the embedded videos on my website. How do I make the actual “display dimensions” 720x480 (and not have the sides cropped off)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

{I just downloaded HandBrake and this is my first post.)

Description of problem or question:
After videos are uploaded on DailyMotion and embedded on my family website, they are cropped on the sides when playing from my website.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
My original files are 720x480 AVI files
My most recent input settings in HandBrake are:

Preset: Fast 720p30 (under General subtab)
Format MP4
Web Optimized
Alighn A/V Start
Under Dimensions tab I changed made Width 720 and Height 480
*All other settings are default

I then upload the video to DailyMotion, copy the embed code and post it into the html code of my website (but I change the code to 720x480)

When I play the embedded video from my website, the player is 720x480 but the sides are cropped out (both sides have black areas).

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
Windows 7 Home Premium (with all updates)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Best Preset: 720x480 Old Videos Uploaded to DailyMotion

Post by mduell »

Youtube Vimeo 480p preset, then provide your encoding log.

"An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided."
Deleted User 13735

Re: Best Preset: 720x480 Old Videos Uploaded to DailyMotion

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

We don't know if your 720x480 videos are 4:3 or Widescreen.
You also didn't say how much border. A little? A lot? A screenshot perhaps?

In any event, your anamorphic footage will Display full frame at 854x480, 640x480, or 604x480, depending on aspect, but never at 720 pixels wide! That is called a storage dimension.

But we'll never know which is which, without those pesky logs ...