Less Blocking/best settings for compressing BluRay?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
theconspiracygod51

Less Blocking/best settings for compressing BluRay?

Post by theconspiracygod51 »

Description of problem or question:

Hey guys, I am fairly new to Handbrake and compressing video files, only learned the "basics" of how it works and some "best settings" on youtube videos. File size get compressed, audio is fine but I still end up with blocking in dark scenes when compressing. I know there is chances that the visuals will be lowered since it has been compressed.

Looking for the "Best Settings" or your recommended settings:

Can anyone share screenshots of the best settings to lessen the blocking/keep up with quality in dark scenes and overall keep quality but still reduce size. I am wanting to know how to deblock and get better with Handbrake, I am best with showing how to do it and not just tell me "press there and there" when I only know the bare basics of the program.

I've seen there is a filter called "deblock" but don't know if that's the setting to touch, and what to put it on without ruining the outcome.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

I am using latest version 1.2.0

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 10 Home Edition
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Less Blocking/best settings for compressing BluRay?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
theconspiracygod51

Well I just want to know what is the best settings, my activity log is this:
https://pastebin.com/JudkeMq0

My compression is not the settings I am looking for, I am asking if anyone has the best settings for less blocking and overall good quality
Last edited by theconspiracygod51 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

theconspiracygod51 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:58 pm Description of problem or question:

Hey guys, I am fairly new to Handbrake and compressing video files, only learned the "basics" of how it works and some "best settings" on youtube videos. File size get compressed, audio is fine but I still end up with blocking in dark scenes when compressing. I know there is chances that the visuals will be lowered since it has been compressed.

Can anyone share screenshots of the best settings to lessen the blocking/keep up with quality in dark scenes and overall keep quality but still reduce size. I am wanting to know how to deblock and get better with Handbrake, I am best with showing how to do it and not just tell me "press there and there" when I only know the bare basics of the program.

I've seen there is a filter called "deblock" but don't know if that's the setting to touch, and what to put it on without ruining the outcome.
The best setting here is to fix the brightness/contrast levels on your playback environment. The top cause of complaints like this are people who have the brightness too high so they're seeing artifacts that should be lost in the shadows.
theconspiracygod51

mduell wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:45 pm
theconspiracygod51 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:58 pm Description of problem or question:

The best setting here is to fix the brightness/contrast levels on your playback environment. The top cause of complaints like this are people who have the brightness too high so they're seeing artifacts that should be lost in the shadows.
And how is this done, I am not good with words but more in a form of "screenshots" I am fairly new to this program, and want to know what settings to pull up og pull down. Thanks for replying
theconspiracygod51

I hope someone around here can help with some settings and tweaking! Really would appreciate it- since I love using handbrake so far :)