Need help with transcoding for use in NLE

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
audio2u
New User

Need help with transcoding for use in NLE

Post by audio2u »

Hi all,
First post here. Been a professional audio engineer for 32 years, but am new to the world of video.
I have searched the forum, but could not find an answer to my specific question. Apologies if it was there and I missed it!
I'm creating videos for youtube, which are a combination of screen capture (captured with OBS Studio) and live action (captured from my smartphone).

PC is running Windoze 10 (off Samsung EVO850 SSD). Sorry, I'm not on this machine right now, and don't remember if I've got Home or Pro.
CPU: AMD FX8350 4.0 GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 G.Skills Ripjaws
Graphics card: Gigabyte 4 GB OC GTX760
Data drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm

I don't recall off the top of my head what settings I'm using for the OBS Studio footage, but it play back fine.
The issue is with the video footage coming from my smartphone.
I'm capturing the live action stuff at 25 fps, 1920x1080, 60 MBPS in what my camera pp describes as "MPEG4 H.264". I THINK MPEG4 is the container, and H.264 is the CODEC... is that right?

And in Magix Vegas 15, this footage WILL NOT play back smoothly.
It glitches and freezes all the time.

Now, I have read that you should NOT try and edit with a 'deliverable' format.
Is the footage from my phone considered a 'deliverable' format?
I have also had it suggested to me by friends who DO know video better than me, that I should transcode my original footage to mpeg4/ProRes or mpeg4/DNxHD.
My question is this:

Can Handbrake convert to ProRes or DNxHD, or are they proprietary CODECs and not available under Handbrake's licensing?

If Handbrake cannot transcode to either of those formats, is there a format in Handbrake that I CAN transcode to which will allow the footage to playback smoothly on the Vegas timeline for editing purposes?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Bruce.