audio codecs enlightenment

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
pdofak
New User

audio codecs enlightenment

Post by pdofak »

Description of problem or question:
Hi,
I have various sourced video files that want to be in a collection for playback from NAS to TV, etc.
Some of the files are screen captures via software IShowU. IShowU doesn't compress much because the system is plenty busy already and compression would cause problems. So the files are huge. Therefore I compress with Handbrake. Default presets. 1080p for example.
The resulting files play fine on everything except a few years old Samsung 60" TV. Some files play audio and some files don't. Software is current on all participant in this little party.
This is using the default audio codec which is AAC (CoreAudio).
As a test I redid the same file with all 5 codecs. Sure enough they all played but the default AAC.

Is there a discussion of the codecs somewhere and their compatibility/usefulness/advised use? The Handbrake documentation is lacking.

Thanks.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

Breaks on Samsung TV every time.

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

10.13.6 High Sierra

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: audio codecs enlightenment

Post by Ritsuka »

The general advice is to not use the built-it tv software and buy a third party device like chromecast, roku or appletv.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Smart TVs are not so smart. My older Samsung can only play MKV files if I rename them so they have an extension of .AVI.

Support of some codecs requires an external decoder, such as a home theater amplifier. My TV sends AAC audio back down the HDMI cable to the amp, so the TV speakers are "dead" while playing AAC. It also sends AC3 to the amp, but the TV speakers are active.... and slightly out of sync with the main speakers.

To extend what Ritsuka says - the best way often is to treat the TV as nothing but a dumb video monitor, and leave the rest of the viewing experience to devices designed for the task.