convert Mini Dv to MP4

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
RoscoeBill
New User

convert Mini Dv to MP4

Post by RoscoeBill »

Description of problem or question:
I have a Canon ZR45 camcorder which uses the Mini DV cassettes. I would like to convert these to MP4 files. Can this be done through HandBrake?

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

I use a Mac with a Firewire cable.

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
BradleyS

Re: convert Mini Dv to MP4

Post by BradleyS »

You can probably import the Mini-DV using iMovie, assuming it still supports this feature (it used to). Then you can export to MP4 directly or export to something like Apple ProRes or Intermediate Codec, and feed that to HandBrake.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Set your Canon to digital passthrough and capture over FireWire 1394, using Scenealyzer, which can still be found.

That is the best way possible.
tmmr7

Post by tmmr7 »

I have been using Scenalyzer to convert mini-DV tapes to mp4 but it no longer works with a different mini-DV player I am using (my mini-DV camera conked out). I was told that HandBrake has the ability to convert mini-DV input (via firewire) to mp4, but I'm not seeing any way to do that.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

tmmr7 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:19 am I was told that HandBrake has the ability to convert mini-DV input (via firewire) to mp4, but I'm not seeing any way to do that.
You were told wrong, or misunderstood. Once they are on your hard drive, HandBrake can convert DV files to another format, but it cannot import anything from a MiniDV camera directly, however.
Deleted User 11865

On a Mac, iMovie should be able to import from most MiniDV camcorders, but separate decks are not supported officially, so it might not work either. Perhaps a secondhand camcorder purchase is in order. You could always try to connect your device via FireWire and see if iMovie will recognize it first:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/i ... 9c94c1/mac
Deleted User 11865

Also, http://www.scenalyzer.com suggests the software has not changed in 17 years, so unless it was somehow broken by a specific software update on your Mac, maybe it's your hardware that no longer works.
tmmr7

Post by tmmr7 »

Thanks for the responses. I figured HandBrake can't convert the way Scenalyzer does. I'm using Windows, not a Mac. Scenalyzer was working with my 2 cameras, then they conked out. I obtained a mini-DV VCR which works fine but Scenalyzer will not recognize it. The guy who developed Scenalyzer has responded to my inquires several times and has been helpful. He suggested some rather (for me) complicated things to try, to try and get Scenalyzer to recognize the new mini-DV VCR. So I thought I would first try to find out if there's a different program to use.
Deleted User 11865

tmmr7 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:01 pm I'm using Windows, not a Mac.
Ah, I missed that as you hijacked someone else's 5-year-old thread. I eventually realized that but forgot to unlink the original poster's use of a Mac from the rest your problem in my mind.

I'm afraid I don't have any ideas left. Good luck :-)