ATV 4K H.264 Baseline Profile Preset - Which one is correct?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Re: ATV 4K H.264 Baseline Profile Preset - Which one is correct?

Post by nathug »

Another update:

I copied these files to my MacBook Pro's iTunes and ran them on the ATV4K. Same results, frame rate drop at the same places. On regular ATVs files play fine. Files with a limited VBR play fine too.

This is looking more and more like some bottle neck between how iTunes is handing the files to the ATV4K. Or how the ATV4K is handling the files within its programming.

Again VLC plays these just fine and thats using Hardware decoding. Today I also setup my Mac as a Plex server, and using original quality on the ATV4K, they play just fine too,

So... Bug report has been sent to Apple :(
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Thanks. It's definitely very odd. Just to clarify, is your model AppleTV6,2/A1842?
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

BradleyS wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:07 pm Thanks. It's definitely very odd. Just to clarify, is your model AppleTV6,2/A1842?
Yes, A1842 (64GB) with tvOS 11.4 (15L577)

Been playing with Plex for around half an hour now and its running everything I throw at it, not like anything from iTunes/Computers. All other apps work great too!

Nate
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Would be interesting to know whether Plex is transcoding or serving the video untouched. If it's not messing with the video at all, iTunes is certainly suspect.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

From what I can see in Plex on the ATV4K and on my MacMini, the settings say 'Play Original Quality' this is the only one checked. All the ones that mention Convert to 1080p etc. are unchecked.