Lowering AVC from High10@

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
TheDevilDrivesAudi
New User

Lowering AVC from High10@

Post by TheDevilDrivesAudi »

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this so I apologize in advance for my question if it's really basic.

I playback mkv movies with a MED500X2 and some of them are very pixelated and sometimes unwatchable. When viewed on my PC they look perfect.

Compared the files with MediaInfo and all the bad ones have a Format Profile High 10@L5.1: on the other hand, the movies that play flawlessly have lower profile, for example High@L4. I take the profile High 10 is a problem for my MED500X2.

How do I downgrade the profile in HandBrake?

Is it the Encoder Profile choice? If so, a High 10@L5.1 would correspond to Encoder Profile "high" and I need to set to "Main" or even "Baseline"?

Thanks guys!
Deleted User 11865

Re: Lowering AVC from High10@

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

High 10 means a 10-bit encoder was used. In HandBrake you want to pick an 8-bit encoder (the default, just don't pick any encoder with "10-bit" in its name).

The set up the profile ("High") and level as required (depends on the video resolution, 5.1 will work for most anything, but as long as you're not encoding 4K/UHD videos then 4.0 or 4.1 will work just fine -- you can also simply pick "auto" for the level and profile).