ATV4 HEVC preset

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
potatis

ATV4 HEVC preset

Post by potatis »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

Will there be an AppleTV4 HEVC preset for 1080p?

Please include the scan or encode log:

Code: Select all

Paste a log of the scan or encode between these code brackets, or use a pastebin website and provide us with the URL it gives you. 
 Logs are required for all support requests.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: ATV4 HEVC preset

Post by rollin_eng »

Possibly, but you can use the Apple preset and switch to h.265.
lone_tree
Experienced

Post by lone_tree »

Has anyone confirmed this works and with what version of HB? It did. It with the first few betas of the new OSes and I think I had to download the latest nightly build of HB to get hevc working on macOS. I never got it working on the 4th gen with 1080p or otherwise.
lone_tree
Experienced

Post by lone_tree »

OK, I confirmed it works now. I used a recent nightly build, encoded a couple of chapters from a Blu-ray, added it to iTunes and it showed up and played on the 4th gen ATV. Now my question is: What should the presets be?
potatis

Post by potatis »

lone_tree wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:04 am OK, I confirmed it works now. I used a recent nightly build, encoded a couple of chapters from a Blu-ray, added it to iTunes and it showed up and played on the 4th gen ATV. Now my question is: What should the presets be?
Did it also play in Quicktime? I used 1.0.7 with the Apple 1080p30 Surround preset and changed to x265 and main profile, and it didn't play in Quicktime but it did play in iTunes. Have no AppleTV4 to try with right now. Maybe the nightly build is needed then, or Quicktime is just more restrictive than ATV.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Try a nightly build.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

There is an Apple HEVC preset in the nightly build, which will soon become HandBrake 1.1.0. Some under the hood changes were necessary for full support, so it is not sufficient to merely replicate the settings in 1.0.x.
lone_tree
Experienced

Post by lone_tree »

rollin_eng wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 am Try a nightly build.
Exactly. Doesn’t work in 1.0.7. Any nightly build for the last couple of months or longer has worked (playable in QT, tvOS 11, etc.)
potatis

Post by potatis »

Thanks. Getting along now. Just one question, is the standard RF:24 set with sharper digitally shot video in mind? Two movies with a lot of grain looked very compressed with 24, had to change it to 22 and 20. A tv broadcast was fine with 24. Should I use 22 for 'old' films?
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

Grain in general compresses poorly. The x265 encoder has a grain tune which may help, but may also affect compatibility. You can also choose to use a denoise filter to reduce or remove the grain, or as you've found, reduce the RF to throw more bits at the problem.