Subtitle timecodes showing with subs on TV. SOLVED

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
userlite

Subtitle timecodes showing with subs on TV. SOLVED

Post by userlite »

Hi
Searched but could not find an answer.
Using a MacBook and Handbrake,
Added a (forced) .SRT to an .AVI and encoded to .MKV and on VLC all works as expected. When I watch the same movie from the same source (NAS) on a 2016 Panasonic viera TV and select subtitles, they display at the correct times but also display what I assume are the timecodes i.e. a long string of numbers preceding the text.
Is this an issue with the TV, the SRT or the encode and can I prevent it happening again?
many thanks in advance

Code: Select all

https://pastebin.com/NGTaftTj
Last edited by userlite on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Subtitle timecodes showing with subs on TV

Post by Woodstock »

"Smart" televisions are notorious for being "dumb" when it comes to things like subtitles. They will only accept certain types, and sometimes render them incorrectly.

The problem with SRT subtitles is that there is no defined standard for them, just "what everyone else has done". The renderer built into handbrake for burning them in is smarter than most, so you may find that the "best" solution is to burn the forced subtitles in.
userlite

Post by userlite »

Thank you.
I shall have a go at burning them in and see if the TV can understand that.
I will report back with results.
:)
userlite

Post by userlite »

Thanks Woodstock. Burning them in cures the problem. So the issues were down to the not so smart TV.