2nd gen ipod touch, which device preset

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
BEEKERC

2nd gen ipod touch, which device preset

Post by BEEKERC »

while my current devices are ipads and iphone 6, i still have a second gen ipod touch.
i have handbrake 1.0.7
i'm ripping movies and television episodes from DVD with handbrake.
what device preset should i choose so that the videos will play to the lowest common denominator (the 2nd gen ipod touch).
i've tried APple 1080p, APple 720p, Apple 540p, Apple 240p, iPod, iPhone & iPod Touch, iPad (with and without iPod 5G support).
all using the MP4 container and the output file being saved as an M4V file.
no matter what, after transferring the files into itunes, when i try and load the file into the ipod touch, i get the error message "...was not copied because it cannot be played on this ipod". however, it copies just fine into the iphone 6 and ipads.

what presets (or custom settings - please give all details) should i use to make the rips ipod 2G compatible?

Thanks
BradleyS

Re: 2nd gen ipod touch, which device preset

Post by BradleyS »

The Apple 540p30 Surround preset should work. Please provide an activity log from such an encode.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

BradleyS wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 pm The Apple 540p30 Surround preset should work. Please provide an activity log from such an encode.
Nope: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP496?view ... cale=en_US

…the best preset for that particular model would be Legacy > Universal, though Apple 240p30 would also work.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

The early Apple mobile hardware and Apple TV supported 540p, published specs be damned.
BradleyS

Post by BradleyS »

If the output is large enough, I suspect HandBrake may be generating a 64-bit MP4, which the older hardware does not support.
BEEKERC

Post by BEEKERC »

BradleyS,
is there a way to force HandBrake to generate a 32-bit MP4 file?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

The 32/64 choice is made for you, determined by the output file size. If it is less than 4GB, you'll get a 32-bit file.

So the way to "force" it is to use quality settings that make sure you stay under 4GB.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The reason it's done that way is because if a 32-bit MP4 were to exceed 4 GB in size, the "index" would be corrupt and the file unusable.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

The way it used to be!