Converting DVDs to H.264 files for sale

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dax702

Converting DVDs to H.264 files for sale

Post by dax702 »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

I have to convert some standard definition NTSC (720x480) 4:3 DVDs to individual H.264 MP4 files. So customers will have the option of buying the tangible DVD, or a downloadable product format.

Question is, what settings would you use for producing the final MP4 files? The files will most certainly be played across multiple platforms and devices by customers around the world. I should mention that the content is mostly talking head type material.

Is there a good preset for this scenario?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Converting DVDs to H.264 files for sale

Post by mduell »

I'd use the HQ 480p30 Surround preset. It should generally work on modern phones and computers. If you want to maximize compatibility with older/worse devices, Android 480p30.

If you can, start with the highest quality source available to you, i.e. what the DVD was produced from rather than the DVD.
dax702

Re: Converting DVDs to H.264 files for sale

Post by dax702 »

Regarding source, for some DVDs, the original project files were lost, so all I have is the DVD to use as a source.. For others, I do have the original NLE project files so I can encode from those edited source AVI files.
I'll try those presets you mentioned and see how I make out