Benchmarking DVD drive transfer rates bottlenecking Handbrake

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
davidm71

Benchmarking DVD drive transfer rates bottlenecking Handbrake

Post by davidm71 »

Hi,

When I rip one of my old DVD's I usually do a straight transfer from the DVD drive into HandBrake using Slysoft's Anydvd to decrypt the disk. Spent the morning comparing 1X to 16X transfer rates on Wikipedia and this got me curious as far as if I may encounter any bottlenecks in reading straight from the DVD into handbreak? Lets say I have a semi-powerful cpu that can encode at 14 mb/sec and the dvd readspeed limited at 16X read theoretically should sustain a 15 - 21 mb/sec transfer rate so there should be no bottleneck right? However I used Nero diskspeed on my HP 1260t (16X readspeed spec) and its maxing out 6X for a 7.5gb double layer commercial DVD-ROM disk. Seems like the DVD drive indeed is holding me back?? Even more so if hooked up on an USB adapter??

Thanks
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Benchmarking DVD drive transfer rates bottlenecking Handbrake

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake is the bottleneck. If you rip to your hard disk, you will see what your drive can do. Then you can encode from the copy on the hard disk, and see what handbrake can do.

I use MakeMKV to rip disks as fast as the drive can read them, then set up the jobs for handbrake to encode them. Typically I can have 4 DVDs or BDs ripped and back in their cases before handbrake finishes the first few encodes.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

It will depend a lot on your encode settings.

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
davidm71

Post by davidm71 »

Just talking theoretically because your DVD drive can only transfer or read a certain mb/s rate and if that number is less than your encode rate depending on what ever setting you have it could limit your encodes? I mean I just benched my DVD drives and it seems that I barely top out at 6X read speeds and it takes time to ramp up to that level. Is that because the source is a commercial dvd-rom disk? Do the math anyhow and you'll see it will certainly bottleneck a fast cpu!
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Depending on your settings you could probably bottleneck most parts of your work flow.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

The DVD drive can be a bottleneck, see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riplock
davidm71

Post by davidm71 »

That last post about Riplock was very interesting. Curious I benchmarked all of my DVD and BD drives and found that non of them reach the 16X advertised max rates. Best I got was 12X and that's after spinning up and down from 4X. So the rate never stays consistent and will most likely be a source of bottlenecking. Found patching software as far as riplock is concerned but wasn't compatible with my Samsung drives though not sure if it's riplock at work or something else.