Encoding for viewing on a single-core Pentium CPU?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Fiksdal

Encoding for viewing on a single-core Pentium CPU?

Post by Fiksdal »

My friend has this really ancient laptop with a 1.70 GhZ single-core Pentium CPU. I'm not quite sure what GPU she has, but I think it's the type you'd find in mid-range office laptops in 2007.

I gave her some videos that were H264 1090p 60 FPS, and clearly she couldn't play them due to her low specs. However, I tried the default settings of handbrake on the videos, and that was also too much for her computer to handle.

What kind of settings should I use for her computer to be able to play it? I don't really care that much about quality or size, I just need her computer to be able to play the videos smoothly.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Encoding for viewing on a single-core Pentium CPU?

Post by mduell »

Try the fastdecode x264 tune and downsize to 540p since I doubt her display is very high resolution.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

The AppleTv preset is the most conservative. Downscale to SD as suggested.
If that works, add in CABAC, because of a huge compression advantage.
Fiksdal

Post by Fiksdal »

Thanks guys! I ended up using the default settings, only I chose the "baseline" profile and set FPS to 29.97. My friend said the videos played fine.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Next step is to try Main Profile on your friend's machine.
Files would be MUCH smaller!