4K Playback on LG/Panasonic TVs

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
grandmaster

4K Playback on LG/Panasonic TVs

Post by grandmaster »

Hi there,

I'm creating 4K video files at 60fps. I take Handbrake's standard high profile preset, adjust to constant frame-rate and change the encoding profile to 'slow' from 'medium'. CRF is kept at 20. Audio is always encoded in AAC 2.0 at 160kbps. Everything is in the MP4 container.

The files play back just fine on Samsung screens, however the same encodes error out on LG and Panasonic screens - 'file not supported'. What's infuriating about this is that some files work fine with no issues, others simply won't play.

I don't really know where to start in identifying the error because it is entirely random whether a file will play or not. I can rule out bitrate as being the issue as even a 92mbps 4K 60fps file plays fine on both screens.

If any one has any experience of this, that would be great. Even tips on helping to pin-point what *might* be the issue would be useful.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: 4K Playback on LG/Panasonic TVs

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

We would need to see the encode logs for a file that works AND one that fails, to compare.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

grandmaster wrote:The files play back just fine on Samsung screens, however the same encodes error out on LG and Panasonic screens - 'file not supported'.
Does this mean you are using a player that is built into the TV for playback? It might help if you could tell us more about the player(s). Model? Are they android?