Missing Audio Track Language Information

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
DenverOmelette

Missing Audio Track Language Information

Post by DenverOmelette »

About 7 years ago I converted a bunch of VOB files created by MythTV to MPEG 4 with HandBrake 0.9.4 2009112300. It appears that the language information for the audio tracks was not included in the meta data in the resulting files. These files worked fine with my older AppleTV, but I recently upgraded to the 4th gen model and for the files with alternative languages (e.g. french) or commentary tracks, the audio defaults to those, not the English language track. iTunes shows two audio tracks (listed as "Unknown Language") and I can switch back and forth between them but I can't do that on the new AppleTV (It only shows one audio track.)

I've verified that the language data is missing with mediainfo, so the question is can I fix this easily? I have about 180 files and I'd hate to have to go up into the attic to get original material and the rip these again.

Thanks.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Missing Audio Track Language Information

Post by Ritsuka »

If you are on Mac you can use Subler to set the language, and the appropriate media characteristics tags if you have two tracks in the same language. If not, maybe MP4Box or something like that.
DenverOmelette

Re: Missing Audio Track Language Information

Post by DenverOmelette »

Based on some of the other threads I think I have (mostly) figured it out, but I am still a little confused on how the fallback track and AC3 passthrough actually works. In other words, there seems to be multiple ways to fix the issue, but I'm not sure which one is optimal.