EXpected Aprox size for Apple TV1080p movie?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
topcat

EXpected Aprox size for Apple TV1080p movie?

Post by topcat »

Hi
Sorry for such a basic question but I'm trying to re rip my movie collection for my 4th gen apple tv in 1080p. My rips using the nightly apple tv 30fps 1080p setting come out around 5GB each. Does that sound about right? Seem a bit big for me? This includes the standard pre-set stuff, 5.1 and stereo soundtrack.

Any way to get the file size down without loosing too much quality without going 720p?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: EXpected Aprox size for Apple TV1080p movie?

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your encode logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

size depends upon source and options selected. The logs Rollin mentions tell us what options you chose, and some (but not all) information about your source. Without them, everything is a guess.

As for your last question... Going from 1080p to 720p implies quality loss. How much is too much, TO YOU? It's a very subjective question, and even your display screen is a factor.
topcat

Post by topcat »

Thanks both, I've uploaded a log of my encodes I'm doing at the moment here:
http://pastebin.com/KabP9sZd

Size is one of those things where I would love to save space for now, but as space gets cheaper and cheaper, ill regret not doing it in HQ the first time and need to re encode again.
That said, smaller files are easier to deal with.

So 5GB for my 1080p rip of star wars is fine if thats normal, Im just checking thats what is expected. Ill prob stick to the presets, Apple TV 720p or 1080p depending much much I love the film/think it needs it
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Action movies and movies with high detail generate large files when you try to preserve those characteristics. And Star Wars movies have both. So yes, the file size will be bigger. The same size source in, say, and animated feature might shrink to 2.5GB or even less, because there is less to encode.

Shifting out to 720p reduces the amount of detail significantly, reducing the file size by more than you would expect "just" for the reduced pixel count. If you then play it back on a large 1080p screen, it might be acceptable quality for your needs, or it may be irritatingly blurry. These are decisions that only you can make, though.

There is a way to find out, though - it's called "play with it". You do NOT need to encode the whole feature to get an idea of what is acceptable or not. Pick a scene in the movie. Encode that small chunk with a variety of settings, such as increasing and decreasing the RF value (reducing/increasing the output quality, higher RF=lower quality), increasing/decreasing the picture size, etc., and play the test files on the AppleTV. Which settings do what you're wanting to do?
topcat

Post by topcat »

thank you v much for that, ill live with the file size i think, but il have a play. i know its silly, but i never thought to encode just a chapter or two!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Anything from 1GB for The Social Network to 25GB for Saving Private Ryan.

If you want smaller files than the average you're seeing now, lower the quality setting to something that better suits your preferences.

Going to 720p is an automatic unrecoverable loss of quality, that should only be tried once your quality setting (CRF) is well into the 30s.