Best settings for DVD to MP4 for customers to buy and download

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dax702

Best settings for DVD to MP4 for customers to buy and download

Post by dax702 »

Please detail your question or problem in as much detail as possible:

I have some NTSC 4:3 720x480 DVDs that I sell on a website, and I want to make H.264 MP4 that they can buy and download to own. Question is, what would be the best settings to use for each of the tabs in Handbrake to achieve the best file that would play back on the majority of devices (some will watch on their computers, some will view with phones, tablets, etc) Would you use settings in the advanced tab, or just the slider under optimise video? I'd like to keep file size down as much as possible. Thank you!
Last edited by dax702 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Best settings for DVD to MP4 for customers to buy and download

Post by Woodstock »

"Best" has different meanings for different people.

Are there subtitles? "Best" would include those subtitles being done in timed-text format, rather than VOBSUB (image) format, so that the subtitles are available on more devices.

What audio do you have? While AC3 is standard on DVDs, playback software on a lot of devices have restrictions in place against it, so AAC would give better compatibility.

Will it be retrieved via cellular data? If so, "best" would include extra compression for lower bit rates.

There are slightly different optimizations for iOS and Android devices.
dax702

Post by dax702 »

Thanks for the reply.

No subtitles with any of my DVDs.

The audio on the DVDs is all AC3.

When you say retrieved, you mean downloaded at the time of purchase? If so, I have no idea. I'm sure some will buy with tablets and download either via their wifi or cellular if perhaps they are traveling, who knows?

I'm not concerned with encoding time, within reason. I mean if it takes 2 hours to encode MP4s from a 2 hour DVD, that's fine, I have a decent system.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

What Woodstock is saying is what do your customers want. AC3 wont work on an an iPhone, big files can cost money via cellular etc. etc.
dax702

Post by dax702 »

Well customers just want to be able to download and watch the videos I sell. And I just want to be able to provide them with the best quality video file that I can.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

dax702 wrote:Well customers just want to be able to download and watch the videos I sell. And I just want to be able to provide them with the best quality video file that I can.
If this is the case go to your source files (that you created your DVD from) and then convert/export them to h.264/MP4.
dax702

Post by dax702 »

rollin, yes, obviously, that's what I want to do. What I'm trying to determine is what settings I should use in Handbrake to achieve the best video. Example, the DVD video is 720x480. What would be the optimum resize settings, what should the anamorphic be set to? What should the modulus be set to? Should I use the advanced settings tab, and if so, what should I set there? Or should I just use the slider set to something like slow?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

But what are you creating the DVD from?
dax702

Post by dax702 »

? I'm not creating a DVD. The DVD already exists. I want to make quality MP4 files of each chapter on the DVD and make these new MP4 files a downloadable option for purchase. So customers can choose to order the tangible DVD, or they can buy the downloadable version.
Charvelx04

Post by Charvelx04 »

I might be able to shed some light on this.

I used to base how I encoded my files, on HDD space. Back in the day, I just had your standard 250/500GB sized drives, and very little space to store any back ups.. much less full DVD back ups.

I create two types of MP4's based on whether or not they are going on my daughter's computer for her to watch: Standard 720*480.
Or.. her mobile phone: 480*320.

The 2TB hard drive has no issues with the amount of files, because they range anywhere between 1.3GB, and just around 800MB.
Her phone, on the other hand.. is maxed out with a 64GB card, and those MP4s range anywhere between 300 and 700MB each. All her movies include subtitles, but no chapter breaks.

I can store nearly 60 movies alone on her card.. and I have seen no visual distortions at 480 pixel width... and even though the higher end phones boast higher resolutions, the majority are around 900+ or so.

Try the 480.. it may suit your needs. :)
dax702

Post by dax702 »

656x480 turned out to be the best resolution
Charvelx04

Post by Charvelx04 »

There ya go... sometimes, doing a little bit of experimenting is all you need.

The only reason I chose 480, was file space on her phone.. very limited.... glad you found one that worked for you.