Not able to select different audio track on ATV3

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
toaster

Not able to select different audio track on ATV3

Post by toaster »

Hey,

I've a problem - don't know since which version, but the error is, that I'm not able to select an alternative audio track in the ATV3 menü. I encode the files like described in the tutorials, first track AC3 mixdown & second track AC3 passthrough. This works for years and the old videos are still ok, so it seems not a ATV3 software problem.

AC3 still work as expected (default option) on my AV receiver, but I'm not able to switch to stereo (mixdown). When I disable Dolby Digital in the ATV3 menu it delivers stereo output ... wired %-)

I've testet some software like VLC Player and Plex on my NAS ... everything works and shows the two audio streams. The ATV does not ... does anyone have some suggestions?

Best regards, Torsten
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Not able to select different audio track on ATV3

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your encode logs, instructions can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31236
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

The AppleTV is supposed to choose the right audio track automatically. It won't allow to manually select it.
toaster

Post by toaster »

@rollin_eng - will post a log tomorrow. thx

@Ritsuka - Sure, the Apple TV selects automatically the sourround track on all my videos, but I can switch to another track holding down the middle button, select audio and select another track. Most of my videos has only german mixdown and AC3 passthrough, but some i have encoded with the original language too ... works like charm ... since, I don't know what changed. :o(
toaster

Post by toaster »

Hey, I'm back ... meanwhile I did some testing ... seems to work at versions below 10.x, but the logs seems identical to me?! Strange.

Log 10.5.0: http://pastebin.com/b8iWTj0c
Log 0.9.9.1: http://pastebin.com/8ZZXKn6Y

With the encode of the 0.9.9.1 version I'm able to select the audio track, with any version 10+ I can't ... at the ATV3, on Plex and other players there is no problem with the track.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

That's because 0.10.5 adds a metadata that tell the AppleTV the two tracks have the same audio content.
toaster

Post by toaster »

Ah, thanks for the reply ... is there a way to disable or edit this metadata on my own or have i to disable the dolby digital in the atv menü every time?

Best regards.