ATV4 Displaying Audio Track Names?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
zero hectic

ATV4 Displaying Audio Track Names?

Post by zero hectic »

Apple TV models and software have, over time, had issues with regards displaying audio track names. I believe that the original model handled them just fine, but models 2 & 3 ignored them, only displaying the language of the track. At first, I believed the ATV 4 had the same issue, but I recently noticed that one or two of my files were now displaying the audio track names correctly. I’m not sure if this is a recent development due to the tvOS 9.2 update or not. I’ve been poking around a bit and determined that files created by Handbrake continue to not have the audio track names displayed by the ATV 4, but rebuilding them with MP4Tools (set to Passthru all tracks) seems to do the trick. I’ve also found that making a copy of a file and using Subler to delete the audio tracks from file A and copying them back in from file B also works. Simply renaming the files or optimizing in Subler does not.

I was wondering if anyone had further insight on the issue. Is this something that could be dealt with in a future build of Handbrake? Or is there a simpler solution to “correct” preexisting files?
mduell
Veteran User

Re: ATV4 Displaying Audio Track Names?

Post by mduell »

Yes.

With remuxing software, like the ones you already found.
zero hectic

Re: ATV4 Displaying Audio Track Names?

Post by zero hectic »

A little easier: "You can delete the track names, save, and insert them again. Subler writes the name in the new format Apple uses, HandBrake does not yet."