Apple TV3 Decomb on or off

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
samj

Apple TV3 Decomb on or off

Post by samj »

I see the Apple TV3 preset has Decomb turned on by default. For DVD's made in the last few years, is this necessary to leave on? Why does the Apple TV 2 preset not have it on as a default setting like the ATV3?

I know leaving it off speeds up conversions... and I would rather it not do any kind of smoothing to the overall picture possibly affecting the overall clarity.

I'm considering using the ATV3 preset for regular DVD's and turning off Decomb.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
kpflugshaupt
Novice

Re: Apple TV3 Decomb on or off

Post by kpflugshaupt »

samj wrote:I see the Apple TV3 preset has Decomb turned on by default. For DVD's made in the last few years, is this necessary to leave on? Why does the Apple TV 2 preset not have it on as a default setting like the ATV3?

I know leaving it off speeds up conversions... and I would rather it not do any kind of smoothing to the overall picture possibly affecting the overall clarity.

I'm considering using the ATV3 preset for regular DVD's and turning off Decomb.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Decomb is only needed if the source is/was interlaced, and interlacing artefacts need to be corrected.

Among the DVDs I own, this has mostly been the case for TV series, but not for other types of material. But there's no hard rule, it'll depend on the way the DVD was produced.

I do not know why it's been made the default on this preset, though. I run my own presets, and leave it unchecked unless necessary. If in doubt, do a live preview, or a partial encode.

Hope this helps
Kaspar