Question about DVD to PSP conversion

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jwbrent

Question about DVD to PSP conversion

Post by jwbrent »

I have a PSP Slim with v3.71. I'm trying to take DVDs on my hard drive ripped with MacTheRipper v2.66 and use the latest version of HandBrake to convert them to the PSP format. I use the PSP preset and when I install it in the Video folder on the Memory Stick Pro Duo, afterwards it shows up on my PSP but a message comes up saying something about "Unsupported format".

I first tried searching the forums about this but couldn't find anything that answered my question. Thanks for any help...

elf_tower

Post by elf_tower »

hey,
i'm having the same problem. i've had my psp for a month now and have always been able to convert things with no problem untill this morning, i tried other dvds and they seem to work, but it looks like cartoon things have not been working, i tried southpark, powerpuff girls and sword in the stone and they convert into a different format not being able to be read by the psp. if you found something that works or fixes the problem please let me know thanks.

gcguster99t

Post by gcguster99t »

Are you sure you didn't change the format or codecs? I convert videos fine, though I don't always use the psp preset.

canoehead

Post by canoehead »

gcguster99t wrote:Are you sure you didn't change the format or codecs? I convert videos fine, though I don't always use the psp preset.
I am far from an expert, but this is what I do:

1) Select the PSP Preset

2) Change the size to 480 by 256 (or other based on ratio)

3) Ensure that H.264 is selected as the output codec

4) Add "level=3" under the H.264 command - VERY IMPORTANT

Optional = increase the bitrate to 1500 or more

With the new firmware, the PSP can play 480 by 256 - maybe not so important unless you output to a TV, but I like it.

gcguster99t

Post by gcguster99t »

canoehead wrote:
I am far from an expert, but this is what I do:

1) Select the PSP Preset

2) Change the size to 480 by 256 (or other based on ratio)

3) Ensure that H.264 is selected as the output codec

4) Add "level=3" under the H.264 command - VERY IMPORTANT

Optional = increase the bitrate to 1500 or more

With the new firmware, the PSP can play 480 by 256 - maybe not so important unless you output to a TV, but I like it.
Yeah, taken from the psp website:

You can save and play movies/videos on your PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system in the following file formats:

* MP4
o MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC)
o H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (CABAC) (AAC) and Baseline Profile (AAC)

So try changing the codec to h.264. And make sure the dimensions are correct. Post if this works.