Best Setting For Apple TV 3 / MacBook Air

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bez

Best Setting For Apple TV 3 / MacBook Air

Post by bez »

Hi Handbrakers,

I'm new to handbrake, and I'm bait of OCD when it come to the quality I am looking to rip my dvd's at, I want to get the highest possible quality and a file size of around 4gb. I'm trying to rip my dvd collection for use on an Apple TV 3, but I would also like to use the rip on my macbook air while travelling.

What is the best preset to use for the best / highest quality for use on both ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm going mad trying to work out all the different settings !!!

Bez
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Best Setting For Apple TV 3 / MacBook Air

Post by TedJ »

Start with the ATV3 preset, switch the x264 preset to slow or slower, add the film tune and decrease RF to 18. The resulting encode should be indistinguishable from the DVD source.
bez

Post by bez »

EXCELLENT ! Thanks so much for your reply.

Do I need to change any picture settings at all ?
bez

Post by bez »

Sorry to be simple.... but how do I switch the x264 preset to slow or slower ?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Using the x264 preset slider on the video tab.
krisb78

Post by krisb78 »

TedJ wrote:Start with the ATV3 preset, switch the x264 preset to slow or slower, add the film tune and decrease RF to 18. The resulting encode should be indistinguishable from the DVD source.
Hi could I ask a further related question?

If my source file was a bluray rip produced in makemkv, would the above recommendation apply or would I be losing considerable quality?

My current workflow is bluray disc -> makemkv -> handbrake (apple tv 3 preset + web optimised + film or animation tune) -> iTunes on iMac -> stream to apple TV 3 on HD plasma screen connected to surround sound home cinema.

Could I improve my picture and audio settings from those listed? I have lots of HD space.

Kind regards,
Kris.