Acer K130

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
duddo

Acer K130

Post by duddo »

Please can someone suggest output settings to convert videos for an Acer K130 projector? It's the H.264 support less than 4 reference frames that's really got me stumped.

Here is a table of the formats it supports:

TIA
JackNF
Enlightened

Re: Acer K130

Post by JackNF »

That's to do with the maximum H.264 Profile and Level that the projector is designed to support.

On HB's video tab you'll see towards the bottom a pair of drop-down boxes where you can specify what H.264 Profile and H.264 Level to use. A 20Mbps max bitrate with support for no more then 4 reference frames at 1080p suggests the projector is limited to either Baseline or Main Profile at Level 4.0 (there's a handy chart on the H.264 wikipedia page that I've always found quite useful in looking up this sort of thing).

If you want to play it safe then encode everything to Baseline Profile @ Level 4.0. Encoding to Main Profile might work, but short of running a bunch of tests or digging up additional documentation explicitly saying that this projector does support Main Profile then sticking to Baseline at that Level should guarantee something playable. An encode at a higher Profile or Level potentially might work, but there's no guarantee it will and even if one Main or High Profile encoded file plays fine that certainly doesn't mean that ALL such files beyond the officially supported specs would do so.

*edit*
Taking a second look I just realized your projector doesn't claim support for 4 references frames, it claims less then 4 which would not quite lineup nicely with the official maximum of 4 @ 1080p for Level 4.0 on that chart I linked. Maybe it's just a typo... or maybe typing in ref=3 into the 'Extra Options' text box immediately below the Profile and Level settings might be necessary (I thought I was going to have to do a bit of digging to find those 'Extra Options' manual settings, but I see there's a nice little popup tooltip in the Windows GUI telling me just enough to help you here, thank you whoever added that!)

So yeah, I suggest you try encoding with these settings:
Profile: Baseline
Level: 4.0
Extra Options: ref=3