ATV Advanced Settings (HD Source)

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Leo wrote:Do you notice a significant difference between CRF 65% and 70%?
http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2515
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

Anamonde wrote:Sorry MichaelLAX, I was just trying to be helpful.
Anamonde: Never be sorry for trying to be helpful; your comments are always appreciated...
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

<Edited due to spamming>

Dude you're about to get banned. This is at least the 2nd time I've told you about this crap!

~FB
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Note, as of svn rev 1038, thanks to jbrjake, we no longer have to manually set keyint=240:keyint-min=24 since he modified encx264c so that HB will automatically use the correct keyint values according to the specified framerate for each source. This is huge for vbv buffering. Thanks jbrjake :)
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

MichaelLAX wrote:<Edited due to spamming>

Dude you're about to get banned. This is at least the 2nd time I've told you about this crap!

~FB
I feel compelled to defend my good name:

1. When was the 1st "time [you] told [me] about this crap!"? I don't seem to recall.

2. I searched the FAQ and for the word "spamming" and cannot seem to find a definitive definition or prohibition that is sufficiently clear about the practice.

3. My general knowledge of the concept of "spam" has to do with email and is not relevant to a bulletin board setting, so it is difficult for me to understand the prohibition, so as to not repeat it in the future.

Thanks in advance.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

dynaflash wrote:Note, as of svn rev 1038, thanks to jbrjake, we no longer have to manually set keyint=240:keyint-min=24 since he modified encx264c so that HB will automatically use the correct keyint values according to the specified framerate for each source. This is huge for vbv buffering. Thanks jbrjake :)
What happens if I do specify keyint? Will it be ignored? Bcause some time I like to use some other values to gain better seekability.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

realityking wrote:What happens if I do specify keyint? Will it be ignored? Bcause some time I like to use some other values to gain better seekability.
THe default will then be overridden. However, afaik, setting the keyint as a multiple of the framerate should give you optimum seekability.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Well I do use a multiple (kinda): 1/2. For shorter clips (e.g. music videos) I like to have seekability in the 5 second range.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Wont affect that at all. you are good to go, but for general use, the new default should work just great.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

MichaelLAX wrote: 1. When was the 1st "time [you] told [me] about this crap!"? I don't seem to recall.
Here is the 1st time...
MichaelLAX wrote:2. I searched the FAQ and for the word "spamming" and cannot seem to find a definitive definition or prohibition that is sufficiently clear about the practice.
Try Rule #5
MichaelLAX wrote:3. My general knowledge of the concept of "spam" has to do with email and is not relevant to a bulletin board setting, so it is difficult for me to understand the prohibition, so as to not repeat it in the future..
Again...see Rule #5
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

MichaelLAX wrote:3. My general knowledge of the concept of "spam" has to do with email and is not relevant to a bulletin board setting, so it is difficult for me to understand the prohibition, so as to not repeat it in the future.

Thanks in advance.
For sure, if it would be spam as an email, then it is spam on a bbs. C'mon, you know what spam is.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

MichaelLAX wrote:Both of your technical advice far outweighs "~FB's" ability to moderating rules (or the consistent administration of them) - thank goodness!...
...Then allow me to practice, and enforce Rule #4...By way of Rule #10!

~FB
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

Cavalicious wrote:
MichaelLAX wrote:Both of your technical advice far outweighs "~FB's" ability to moderating rules (or the consistent administration of them) - thank goodness!...
...Then allow me to practice, and enforce Rule #4...By way of Rule #10!

~FB

Right, and a discussion of SimpleMovieX is not spam, because...?!?

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3607
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

MichaelLAX wrote:Right, and a discussion of SimpleMovieX is not spam, because...?!?
Because the user was asking for technical support with utilizing chapters in QuickTime and inquiring for information about the file structure of HandBrake's chapter markers?

Stop being so fatuous. There's an obvious difference between robinchee's legitimate questions and plastering the forum with links to sketchy eBay retailers.
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

jbrjake wrote:
MichaelLAX wrote:Right, and a discussion of SimpleMovieX is not spam, because...?!?
Because the user was asking for technical support with utilizing chapters in QuickTime and inquiring for information about the file structure of HandBrake's chapter markers?

Stop being so fatuous. There's an obvious difference between robinchee's legitimate questions and plastering the forum with links to sketchy eBay retailers.
If "plastering the forum" is a post about how to obtain the Apple TV USB Patchstick for the AwkwardTV hack (especially after one Project Administrator called non-hacked ATV users "lazy or inept"), then I am guilty as charged!

Sure better than advertisements about COTTON!:D
Last edited by MichaelLAX on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Dude, get over yourself.

Your post(s) didn't have anything to do with HB support by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe the link in robinchee's post was "ify" at best, but at least he was seeking help about compatibility.

Dynaflash and I have already been through this with you. Hijacking this thread will end now. Anymore comments by you unrelated to this thread will be deleted.
djdeejay

Re: ATV Advanced Settings (HD Source)

Post by djdeejay »

Dynaflash - thought id continue the HD disscussion in here.

Just to let you know, with your new advanced settings my HD source wouldn't play until i put the quality down to 54% by which point, despite the bitrate still being 3000+ the quality REALLY suffered, terribly grainy and poor - like digital TV.

Im going to try the old advanced settings with VBV and try turning cabac off - i'll take a hit on file size for HD sources if it means i can get a 1:1 replication with the original file to play on ATV.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

without CABAC you may not need vbv at all. give it a whirl.
djdeejay

Post by djdeejay »

Ok I will - its a tricky one though as encoding sections doesn't really give an accurate result so much - and encoding the entire movie takes 23 hours :|
djdeejay

Post by djdeejay »

Dynaflash - your right, cabac did it..

turn it off and i get silky encodes on HD, even up to 4700kbit bit rates.

I did a bunch of encodes on a paticularly taxing bit - to get near 1:1 copy with the original file I had to do it at 58% or more - and this means turning cabac off or it doesn't agree with the apple TV.

If i do this i can safely push it up to 62% although their appears little difference once past 59%

I will mention i tried the "old" advanced settings and the "new" advanced settings and there was little difference in either once cabac was turned off. Of course the old uses VBV which meant i could push the CRF slider up a little more but not much point. I might add i also removed weighted frames from the new settings as well - im going to use new settings at 59% tonight and see what i get on the full file tomorrow and i'll do the same with the old settings tomrrow night and compare to the two end results.

I'll then set a nice bassline preset for myself for all future high Q 720p and 1080p sources.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Nice. And reap the rewards of your time testing. This is in fact what it is all about. Congratulations. Hope it works out as you wish and thanks for sharing what you have found. :)
omni

Post by omni »

djdeejay: was this with snapshot 3?
djdeejay

Post by djdeejay »

omni wrote:djdeejay: was this with snapshot 3?
Yes it was.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

<Locking this thread>

This thread is outdated by way of both AppleTV software and HandBrake version, and should only be used for informational purposes. As to not confuse people. There is already a thread for the latest.

FYI before posting setting not using cabac...I would suggest you read rule 7 of the 1st post in the newer thread.