DVD > MacMini > Automator> Auto Import to iTunes>

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cawoodw

DVD > MacMini > Automator> Auto Import to iTunes>

Post by cawoodw »

Hi folks,

This is my first post an I have been searching the forums for a way to do this but haven't found anything. Here is what I am trying to do with an old MacMini I have laying around that I'd like to house my video library. Anyone know of an Automator acript or another way to do this?

1 - Insert DVD to MacMini
2 - Rip DVD via HandBrake in Apple TV profile
3 - Import file automatially into iTunes library for access via AppleTV shared source
4 - Trash orginal file (if necessary)
5 - Eject DVD

Thanks in advance
Anamonde
Novice

Post by Anamonde »

you should be able to do this pretty simply with apple script. then go to your dvd-prefs and tell it to execute script on dvd detection....

just remember... no one setting is perfect for all dvd's. documentaries and tv shows will very often be interlaced. you would have to decide how you want to handle that.
cawoodw

Post by cawoodw »

Ok, thanks. That was the felling I had. I know my way around my Mac, but NOT scripting. Any others ideas?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Tbh, there are many reasons why this may seem a good strategy on paper, but in practice it will not be so simple. For one, HandBrake's applescript support is nonexistent.

Plus, as Anamonde pointed out, even with the presets, there are just too many factors in each source dvd that will require you to interact with HB in too many cases.

So, no, I do not see any reliable or even desirable way to do what you want to do.

Sorry.
cawoodw

Post by cawoodw »

Thanks to you both for your responses. How about this way?

1 - Rip DVD on different system via HB (manually)
2 - Drop file into folder on a headless MacMini sitting in entertainment ctr
3 - File is imported into iTunes Library on MacMini so it can play on AppleTV
4 - File from MacMini drop folder is placed in trash
5 - trash auto dumps it to save space
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Not without using AppleScript.
Anamonde
Novice

Post by Anamonde »

might be able to set this up pretty simply (without writing any code) using Automator... its basically a GUI to applescript.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Actually Automator is nothing but ApleScript in a fancy package since Handbrake doesn't support AppleScript it won't work with Automator either.
cawoodw

Post by cawoodw »

thanks to everyone who has replied. i have pretty much given up on my original plan and have come up with a backup that sounds like it could work...

will automator support iTunes?

I would like to drop a file into the drop box on the mac mini, have it auto import the file into itunes library. once a week i guess i can run an automator script to trash everything in the drop box
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Have you ever even started Automator? I guess not because then you would have seen the iTunes actions (funny that they still use the old icon). However I don't know if you're able to add video files to the library, the only thing I've found is an action to add an audio file.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

cawoodw wrote:thanks to everyone who has replied. i have pretty much given up on my original plan and have come up with a backup that sounds like it could work...

will automator support iTunes?

I would like to drop a file into the drop box on the mac mini, have it auto import the file into itunes library. once a week i guess i can run an automator script to trash everything in the drop box
I think your questions may be more appropriate for the Apple Automator forums.
cawoodw

Post by cawoodw »

thanks, just figured it all out with apple script and automator and its working perfectly