Best settings for multiple devices

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Modular1

Re: Best settings for multiple devices

Post by Modular1 »

is 5.5G the newest iPod Classic?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

is 5.5G the newest iPod Classic?
No, Classic is 6th Gen
skyfranks

Post by skyfranks »

Hi,
I see "Apple Universal" mentioned but I do not have that in my preset list. I have the 0.9.3 and when I check for updates it says I'm all set. I've been using Handbrake for a while but when talking about all the features am still very new at this. I also see people get yelled at a lot around here so I apologize in advance if this is "hijacking".
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Presets Menu > Update Built-in Presets
manu

Post by manu »

After some forum reading I've decided to re-encode my video collection using "universal" preset, so that files could be played on iPhone while the quality remains tolerable for Apple TV viewing. However, I'm wondering is it possible to somehow use the metadata from the old files, so I wouldn't have to write it all over again?
Thank you all!
supermonkey

Post by supermonkey »

Can you use the normal preset with the apple tv.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

supermonkey wrote:Can you use the normal preset with the apple tv.
You're better off using the AppleTV preset.
supermonkey

Post by supermonkey »

I already made 150 movies using normal just making this clear would it work?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

well, the only thing in the normal preset that *could* trip up an appletv is cabac (apple does not *officially* endorse cabac for the appletv). That said I have been running probably hundreds of encodes all done with cabac just fine on two appletv's and at a higher quality setting than the normal preset. So, no guarantee's ... but I would not be afraid to use them at all.
supermonkey

Post by supermonkey »

dynaflash wrote:well, the only thing in the normal preset that *could* trip up an appletv is cabac (apple does not *officially* endorse cabac for the appletv). That said I have been running probably hundreds of encodes all done with cabac just fine on two appletv's and at a higher quality setting than the normal preset. So, no guarantee's ... but I would not be afraid to use them at all.
so it would work
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

For SD sources it shouldn't pose a problem, we're making no guarantees for HD material. ;)
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

supermonkey wrote:
dynaflash wrote:So, no guarantee's ... but I would not be afraid to use them at all.
so it would work
I would not be afraid to try them ... no guarantee's. Sound better ? ;)
trainwrecka

Re:

Post by trainwrecka »

dynaflash wrote:.... I am going to say it again here and sticky this so all people will see it and we dont have to keep repeating it.
Thanks! prevented me from having to search for this.

1. I'm not a crazy - IT NEEDS TO LOOK SUPER CRISP - movie buff, but I would rather the movies not look like YouTube videos on the AppleTV. Am I better off making an iPhone version and an ATV version?

2. If I have to make 2 versions, what is the LOWEST setting I can make for an iPhone, and the lowest without it looking pixelated for the Apple TV

3. If I have to make 1 version, what is the HIGHEST quality setting for an iPhone - not worried about space, I only carry 1-2 movies at a time.

4. Lastly, is there away to make "deinterlace" stay on? I feel like every video needs it.

THANKS A BUNCH!!
tadhgadams

Re: Re:

Post by tadhgadams »

trainwrecka wrote: 4. Lastly, is there away to make "deinterlace" stay on? I feel like every video needs it.

THANKS A BUNCH!!
You can create a custom preset that has deinterlace on, but why would you feel that every video needs it?
Deleted User 11865

trainwrecka wrote:[1. I'm not a crazy - IT NEEDS TO LOOK SUPER CRISP - movie buff, but I would rather the movies not look like YouTube videos on the AppleTV. Am I better off making an iPhone version and an ATV version?

[…]

4. Lastly, is there away to make "deinterlace" stay on? I feel like every video needs it.
Try deinterlace on a high quality DVD and see if it's still super crisp after that kind of filtering.
trainwrecka

Post by trainwrecka »

It looks like the people are made up of horizontal lines during motion, so deinterlace made that go away. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Deleted User 11865

trainwrecka wrote:It looks like the people are made up of horizontal lines during motion, so deinterlace made that go away. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Using decomb or deinterlace is needed if the source is interlaced. But not every source is interlaced, so not every source needs it.

Also, I was referring to your comment where you want your encodes to be "super crisp". Deinterlacing won't help, and so should be avoided unless the source is interlaced.
clockwoo

Post by clockwoo »

I apologize if this had been asked before, but what is the equivalent setting for movies purchased on the itunes store. When I buy from the store, I can play on iPod/iPhone and it looks great on the AppleTV
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

There is no equivalent. Apple use Really high quality sources that you don't have access to.

The closest your going to really get is Universal (for 3G) or AppleTV (for 3GS)
tombellanca

Post by tombellanca »

I'm working my way thru this dilemma as well.
Just bought the ipad. Also have Iphone 3g and appleTV
It seems the best option is to use the Universal setting.
However the file size seems out of whack.
For an 8gig dvd, I'm seeing file sizes of about 4gig (50% compression).
Does this sound right?
Is there anything I can do to have compatibility between all my devices and save some more file size.?
SicMX
Novice

Post by SicMX »

I'm in the process of encoding around 500 DVDs (haven't started encoding them yet, still ripping the DVDs to the comp) so I obviously want to create both efficient, high quality and somewhat future proof rips.

My target devices for the encodes are: iPad, iPhone 3G S, PS3 and AppleTV (might get rid of the AppleTV at some point)

Would High Profile be the best option for this array of devices?
Last edited by SicMX on Mon May 10, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 11865

SicMX wrote:I'm in the process of encoding around 500 DVDs (haven't started encoding them yet, still ripping the DVDs to the comp) so I obviously want to create both efficient, high quality and somewhat future proof rips.

My target devices for the encodes are: iPad, iPhone, PS3 and AppleTV (might get rid of the AppleTV at some point)

Would High Profile be the best option for this array of devices?
High Profile will not work for the AppleTV.

Since you said in the opther topic that your iPhone is a 3G S, then if you only want to use one file for all devices you should use the AppleTV preset with the iPhone's resolution limits: 720x576 up to 25 fps, 720x480 up to 30 fps (AppleTV preset only enforces a max width of 960 pixels).
SicMX
Novice

Post by SicMX »

Ok, thanks very much!
roland.g

Post by roland.g »

I am looking to encode for just the iPad and Apple TV. I hope this is the right place to post as opposed to starting a new thread.

I get an error message when trying to sync movies to my iPad that play on my Apple TV saying "...was not copied because the video format is not supported by the iPad.." All my videos are from SD DVDs not Blu-Ray and were all encoded about 2 years ago using HB 0.9.2.

From iTunes: MPEG-4 m4v files, approx 1.5-3GB per movie, Profile: Low Complexity, Channels: Stereo & DD 5.1, 48kHz, 160bitrate (I believe they all were encoded with AC3 Passthrough and AAC for play on Macs and Apple TV DD). Bit rates are 2500-3000 typically as they we mostly encoded using 2500 avg. bitrate. Dimensions are almost all 853x360 (720x360) strict anamorphic. I never quite understood the difference between Strict & Loose. Some movies would show slight black in the preview so I manually adjusted/cropped where necessary. Of course they were all encoded with the H.264 codec and FPS same as source.

I'm not sure if there is something in my settings or if it is just using HB 0.9.2 instead of the later 0.9.3 and 0.9.4 that is the problem with these files transferring. They were all tagged with artwork, and other metadata using MetaX after encoding and then dropped into iTunes. It's been a while and as my iMac was in storage for 2 years during a renovation, I have yet to resume my encoding process and I can see that with the newer versions, things have evolved in audio and video settings, etc. I am just trying to figure out why my movies won't sync to the iPad and what I would need to rip or change them to to get them to work and for future ripping.

Edit: It seems the consensus is that 0.9.2 files do not work on the iPad.

Post by 918273 »

I have mostly the same problem as SicMX. I have a couple of DVDs here that I want to rip. My target devices for the encodes are iPad, iPhone 3G S and iPd Touch (same generation as the iPhone, don't know the exact name). I want to create efficient and high quality rips for all devices, so what is the best profile? Can I use the High Profile? Or is it better to encode two versions, one for the iPhone and one for the iPad to receive the highest quality?