Handbrake 9 and ipod touch

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mushmaster00

Handbrake 9 and ipod touch

Post by mushmaster00 »

I have gotten handbrake 9 installed and went online and found the ipod touch video settings. I typed the exact same settings in handbrake and every time I hit start for a 2 pass it's wants to take around 20 hours. I find this ridiculous. I tried different videos, I've tried ripping the dvd first then decoding, I've tried straight from disc decoding. Everything I try it wants to take over 20 hours.

Can someone help me please?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

1. Try just using the iPod preset (really no need for 2 pass for an ipod).

2. If you have a slow computer + 2pass + plus other ridiculous setting...yes it can take that long.

Since you supplied hardly any details, this is all the help you can expect.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

As well, if you use 2 pass with an iPod, the vbv buffer limits will not apply, which is likely to cause dropped frames as local bitrate spike beyond what the iPod can handle
mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

So I don't need to do a 2 pass?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

No, in fact there are a couple reasons not to. Thats why our presets do not use 2 pass.
mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

ok, well I do recall I tried once and it was still going into the 16 hours frame. But that might be b/c I'm using x24 and I don't have a dual core.

so any recommendations?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Cavalicious wrote:1. Try just using the iPod preset
Actually, for the Touch, use the iPhone preset. It's optimized for the screen resolution and takes into account how precious flash memory space is.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

jbrjake wrote:Actually, for the Touch, use the iPhone preset. It's optimized for the screen resolution and takes into account how precious flash memory space is.
I was thinking that, but wasn't sure...so decided to play it safe.
mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

ok so I just clicked on iphone preset and it's telling me 13 hours.
That still sounds like a bit much, but I'm use to using the older setting when it only took 6 hours.
mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

nope now it's up to 16 hours.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Ho fast/slow is your computer? My encodes take roughly double to tripple play time on 2,16 Core 2 Duo w/ 1 GB Ram.
mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

mine is a 2ghz powerpc G5
1gb of ram
baggss

Post by baggss »

mushmaster00 wrote:ok so I just clicked on iphone preset and it's telling me 13 hours.
That still sounds like a bit much, but I'm use to using the older setting when it only took 6 hours.
So use the old settings. Odds are the bit-rate and video size were significantly lower.

You can also grab the G5 optimized version of Handbrake 0.9.0 as well, that might help.
mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

where do i get that version?
voxsola

Post by voxsola »

mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

alright so I got the g5 optimized version. I clicked the iphone setting. all I changed as far as the setting goes is the video size and frame rate.
video size changed from 300 something to 640x480. Framerate from source to 29.97.

and it's wanting to take 18 hours on one pass. The last video I made was on handbrake 7 and it only took 6 hours and I download handbrake 9 two different versions and it wants to take 18 hours. I'm sorry, but this is beginning to tick me off.

any more suggestions?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

mushmaster00 wrote:alright so I got the g5 optimized version. I clicked the iphone setting. all I changed as far as the setting goes is the video size and frame rate.
video size changed from 300 something to 640x480. Framerate from source to 29.97.

and it's wanting to take 18 hours on one pass. The last video I made was on handbrake 7 and it only took 6 hours and I download handbrake 9 two different versions and it wants to take 18 hours. I'm sorry, but this is beginning to tick me off.

any more suggestions?

Realize that comparing a HB 0.9.0 x264 preset against an x264 rip in 0.7.1 is really apples and oranges. 0.7.1 used no advanced options whereas the presets in 0.9.0 use advanced options that are likely to increase encoding time but provide a real quality benefit.

However 18 hours does seem a bit lengthy depending on your source. Probably more important is how many frames per second are you seeing with your encode ? For all we know, your source is 3 + hours long in which case 16 hours could be possible ( though still seems like a long time). Also, is your cpu being close to totally utilized ?
mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

I know my movie is 2hours long. But the other day I did do a movie that was only 1hour and 30 minutes and it took it over 20 hours. I know another thing as far as handbrake 7, the movies being encoded were not bad looking. Sure handbrake 9 is probably much better, but if I can't get this working in the next few days I'm going back to handbrake 7. Not that I'm going to be sitting behind my computer desk for 20 hours, but still I don't think I should have to leave my mac running for 20 hours doing an hour and a half video.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Okay, again, can you please post your settings and what FPS are you getting for your encoding ( is reported right above the progress bar in the main window).

I do think there is something amiss here. Also realize you can just create your own preset in 0.9.0 which will pretty much mimic 0.7.1. Just click on, say the iPod Hi Rez preset, then go to the advanced panel and delete the options string in the text field.

Then save that as your own preset. Also, make sure you are comparing bitrate to bitrate when you compare 0.7.1 to 0.9.0.

Last note, if you are changing any deinterlacing, especially Slow, Slower or Slowest, you are using our new high quality deinterlace filters, this will -really- slow down your encodes big time. 0.7.1 did not have these filters available.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Um...don't use the default settings. Like people have been telling you in this thread, they are not the same as in 0.7.1. and if you're following outdated guides to make [Censored] low quality ipod video because you're impatient, you need to start off with the Classic preset that preserves the old defaults for people like you. The Normal settings include x264 options that will slow down the encode and make it iPod incompatible.

I fail to see why you're using x264 if you're on a slow computer, pressed for time, and don't care about video quality. Why aren't you using plain ffmpeg MPEG-4?
mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

I'm not near my mac right now, but I know this much. the encoder was x264 ipod, framerate 29.97, picture size 640x480, bitrate kbps 1500, mp4 h.264 aac audio. I chose the iphone preset. I didn't change anything in the advanced setting.

When I hit the start button I believe it goes at a rate of 1.?? FPS.

when I chose the iphone setting it gives me these presets:
framerate same as source.
encoder x264 ipod
mp4 h.264 aac
bitrate kbps 1500
picture size 420x???

All I change is framerate to 29.97
video size 620x480
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

mushmaster00 wrote:I didn't change anything in the advanced setting.
....sigh...but like we keep telling you, those are different, higher quality settings than in 0.7.1, and *as long as you persist in using them your encode will be slower.*

I also have no clue why you're using a frame size larger than the screen resolution, forcing a 29.97 frame rate, or using a ridiculously high bitrate for the Touch's limited storage.
mushmaster00

Post by mushmaster00 »

ok I know I'm not the smartest apple in the tree, but I have a couple of real easy question and I hope you can give me a real easy answer.

what's all in the advanced settings that is making my encodes to take up to 20hours?

Knowing that it will be a lower quality version what all can I turn off in the advanced setting to get a slower encode time?

What is the basic time frame for a video that is 2hours long with advanced settings on and off for the iphone preset?

And just to make a comment about the whole hb 7. I know it's for older ipods, I know the quality isn't as good, all I was saying is I know not long ago I done a video and it took 6 hours and as soon as I got hb 9 it's wanting to take 20hours. It's not my computer! I just want to know what the crap I need to do in hb 9 to get lower encode times other than 20 hours. I'm not saying I want a 3 hour encode, but 20 hours is unacceptable. Yes the quality probably won't be as good with all the advanced settings, but dang my G5 video ipod had videos made with HB 7 that looked pretty darn good.

One more question why is the video size preset for the iphone 420x??? if apple says it will support 640x480?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

mushmaster00 wrote: what's all in the advanced settings that is making my encodes to take up to 20hours?
All. Of. It.
Knowing that it will be a lower quality version what all can I turn off in the advanced setting to get a slower encode time?
All. Of. It.
What is the basic time frame for a video that is 2hours long with advanced settings on and off for the iphone preset?
Why don't you test it and see? I have no interest in using anything less than the iPhone preset's settings so I have no desire whatsoever to benchmark for you. Considering that my obsolete PowerMac can encode for iPhone in realtime, it's not exactly a strenuous preset as-is.
It's not my computer!
And how did you reach that conclusion? Of course it's your computer.
I just want to know what the crap I need to do in hb 9 to get lower encode times other than 20 hours.
It's not my fault you ignore everything you're told. I already explained to you that you should start with the Classic preset, which preserves the 0.7.1 settings, and follow the directions in the old tutorials for iPod encodes.
One more question why is the video size preset for the iphone 420x??? if apple says it will support 640x480?
WTF would you want video at a size larger than the screen can display, on devices with only 4-32 GB of storage? What sense does that make?
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

mushmaster00 wrote:mine is a 2ghz powerpc G5
1gb of ram
Single processor? That would be the problem (if so). Click iPod Hi-Res --> Advanced Tab --> change Motion Estim. Medthod to Hexagon or diamond --> change Subpixel Motion Est. to 3 or 4 --> uncheck No Fast-P-Skip --> Turn analysis to default. That should retain compatibility and increase speed. Turn them back up as needed for better quality. Don't mess with any of the other settings, though.