High Rez iPod Files...

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
voxsola

High Rez iPod Files...

Post by voxsola »

Before I go and re-encode all the DVD's I've done with HB 0.8.5b1, I wonder if I might get an opinion or two.

I've done all my videos using:

Codec: x264
Video bitrate: 1500 kbps
Audio bitrate: 128 kbps
Sample rate: 48 khz
Framerate: 29.97
Passes: 2-pass
Resolution 320xh mostly 320x176

and the iPod preset from that version:

Code: Select all

frameref=1:bframes=0:nofast_pskip:subq=6:partitions=p8x8,p8x4,p4x8,i4x4:qcomp=0:me=umh:nodct_decimate
I've gotten very good results and I'm wondering if there is anything in v. 0.9.0 that might make it worthwhile to re-encode them or even just some of them. I think I've overcome most of the blocky artifacts, the only type of artifacts that are still somewhat problematic are in dark areas, and especially in shows that are dark in nature (I should mention I do almost only TV shows, not movies), the artifacts I still get are thin, squiggly vertical or horizontal red or green lines. I don't know how to explain it better or how to get a screen shot of them. They only show on the iPod, not in QT, VLC or iTunes.

Is this simply a limitation of the iPod device? Or is there something else I can do to improve it?

Please... I don't want an argument over my choice of high resolution, "why bother" settings... they suit me as I'm a fussy bugger and I DO notice these things. It's my iPod and I intend to force the best out of it that I can... ;)
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

I would reencode all interlaced content since the new deinterlace is much, much, MUCH better. Als you might wan to consider reencoding movies that suffer from a lot of noise (if you got any)
voxsola

Post by voxsola »

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try a few things on a couple of particularly difficult files... not much of a change unfortunately.

I believe I've hit the best I'm going to get out of this gen. of iPod! I'm really hoping Apple decides on an upgrade to something with a widescreen like the iPhone soon!

While I'm being greedy here I think the current LCD only does thousands of colours? I'm not sure, can't find the info anywhere but a boost in that wouldn't hurt.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

voxsola wrote:While I'm being greedy here I think the current LCD only does thousands of colours? I'm not sure, can't find the info anywhere but a boost in that wouldn't hurt.
Yes, the LCD display is 16-bit (65,536) color, and produces banding artifacts as a result. The TV out is 24-bit.

Rodney