"Normal" vs "High Profile" ?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Henry Hall

"Normal" vs "High Profile" ?

Post by Henry Hall »

I know this has been asked before but I haven’t seen any definite answer anywhere. When encoding a Standard DVD to H.264, what is better, "Normal ", or "High Profile" ?
I'm not bothered in terms of the length of time it takes to complete the conversion, just the size:quality ratio

The main differenes are 1) The number of reference frames, 2) 8x8 Transform, 3) Adaptive B frames, 4) Subpixel ME & Mode Decision, 5) And the use of Trellis

Many Thanks! :)
Henry Hall

Re: "Normal" vs "High Profile" ?

Post by Henry Hall »

Would it be more beneficial to just lower the RF quality using "Normal" Profile? ie. "Normal Profile" - RF 19, OR, "High Profile" - RF 20. Both of these give the same file size.
Gooch

Re: "Normal" vs "High Profile" ?

Post by Gooch »

I'm curious about this too. I sometimes compare my DVD rips to ones online, and the torrent versions are always better quality than my own Handbrake rips. So I'm wondering what settings I need to enable in Handbrake to produce DVD rips that look as good as the ones I find online from the various scene groups.