Has the video chapter bug been fixed in IOS 6

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
maiki
Enlightened

Has the video chapter bug been fixed in IOS 6

Post by maiki »

I have two devices running IOS 5.11--- an Ipad 2 (wi-fi only), and an Ipod Touch 4th generation.

There has been a bug in IOS 5 regarding displaying chapters in video. I encode a video for my Ipad with Handbrake with chapter titles, the chapter names show in Quicktime, Itunes, and VLC, but do not appear on the Ipod.

When I first saw this and wrote about it months ago, I found that it was a known bug with IOS5, that was not present in IOS 4.

Now I could update to IOS6, but from the features and problems that are publicized, I don't see much value in doing so.

Unless-bugs like that video chapter bug have been fixed.

Does anyone here know --has the video chapter bug been fixed in IOS 6?

If you don't know, but have a device with IOS6, and any video with chapter names, you could easily test it, and let us know....

Thank you.
tlehtimaki

Re: Has the video chapter bug been fixed in IOS 6

Post by tlehtimaki »

Would you happen to have a link for a test file? I could test it with iPad 3 running iOS 6.
maiki
Enlightened

Post by maiki »

I think all the videos I encoded with chapters are copyrighted material (DVDs I bought), that I can legally encode in a format to use on my Ipad (fair use). However, it would not be legal for me to upload such videos, not parts of them.

Does anyone else here have a video you could upload for a test?

Tlehtimaki---I assume you are reading here, due to having used Handbrake to encode videos for your Ipad. Do none of your encoded videos have chapter names?

Thank you.

--------------

PS--You can actually see a thread I started about the bug in this forum ("No Chapter Names on Ipad) ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24911 ), shortly after I got my Ipad and tried a video on it, in July of this year. One of the respondents responded that it was a known problem with IOS 5. Another respondent replied that the problem would be fixed in IOS6 (although I don't know how he or she could have predicted such a thing months before IOS 6 was realized!)

In any case, I would like to find out if the problem really has been solved??
hanumang

Post by hanumang »

Since you missed it: the day iOS 6 was released (Sept 19th), I posted in your earlier thread that this issue has been corrected.

Either that or you don't believe me. lol.
maiki
Enlightened

Post by maiki »

hanumang wrote:Since you missed it: the day iOS 6 was released (Sept 19th), I posted in your earlier thread that this issue has been corrected.

Either that or you don't believe me. lol.
I saw that post of yours yesterday, but didn't notice the date, that it was recent. As the thread itself is months old, I thought your post was from that time, and that you were guessing that IOS 6 would solve the problem.

Now that you point out that your post was recent, after you actually tried IOS 6, I am glad to hear that the problem has been solved. This might cause me to update. I hope that other bugs have been fixed too.

I wonder why the official announcements don't mention important bug fixes like that. From the news I heard about IOS 6, especially since my Ipad is wi-fi only, it did not sound too promising. The most mentioned--Apple has replaced Google Maps with its own maps app, which seems to be a dud. Also, SIri seems to be a drawing point for IOS 6, but doesn't come with the wi-fi only version. Furthermore, I have heard of wi-fi problems with IOS 6, not good if wi-fi is one's only means of connecting with it. (Has anyone here experienced that new wi-fi bug? Is it bad?)

Anyhow, hearing that the video chapter bug is fixed, causes me to think I will likely do the update soon. Or better to wait until 6.01 or so, until they iron out some of the new bugs?

Thanks for your input.