Preset for iPhone 5

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
d4wn

Preset for iPhone 5

Post by d4wn »

Hey guys,

im new to Handbrake and want to convert some DVD (Vob's) for my new iPhone 5.
Can anyone help me with the preset?

Tech Specs
Video
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
Display
1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi

Thank you :)
d4wn
Deleted User 11865

Re: Preset for iPhone 5

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

iPad or iPhone 4 preset.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Current iPhone preset will work fine.

Unless your planning on pushing the content to a bigger screen, there really isn't any real benefit to making any changes. The screen is too small to notice the difference.
In that scenario, the AppleTV2 or 3 presets are the best choice.

The presets are pretty superfluous now. iPhone 4s and 5, AppleTV3 all for example, play the High profile preset just fine. If it wasn't for the fact that users want something that names their devices specifically we could do away with half the presets.
brakestands
Novice

Post by brakestands »

Yeah, FWIW, I've taken to using the High Profile preset as my default, turning off Decombing for Blu-ray sources, and the rips work fine/look beautiful on the iPhone5, AppleTV3, and I'm sure whatever else comes down the pike from the house of Apple down the road. You have to draw the line somewhere, and I've given up trying to cater to my older devices. Every day that goes by there is less and less reason to do so.
d4wn

Post by d4wn »

Thank you very much :)
Hmm

Post by Hmm »

So the standard iPhone 4 preset works just fine? Do you need to have LARGE SIZED enabled? What does iPOD 5G SUPPORT do?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Hmm wrote:So the standard iPhone 4 preset works just fine?
Yes, the iPhone 4 preset will work.
Do you need to have LARGE SIZED enabled?
Only if the resulting encode exceeds 4GB in size.
What does iPOD 5G SUPPORT do?
Adds a special marker (or atom) to the output file that allows playback on the iPod 5.5G, also known as the iPod with Video. It's irrelevant for any modern Apple hardware.
Hmm

Post by Hmm »

Thank you! :)
Roen

Post by Roen »

For iPhone 5 encodes, can I sync files that have been encoded with Large File Size checked and / or iPod 5G Support unchecked?
Deleted User 11865

Roen wrote:For iPhone 5 encodes, can I sync files that have been encoded with Large File Size checked and / or iPod 5G Support unchecked?
iPod 5G is the very old "iPod with Video", LOL.

iOS devices have always supported "Large file size", AFAIK.
Roen

Post by Roen »

That begs the question, why are there disclaimers for iPod 5G support such as "Encodes will not sync if this option is not enabled for H.264 encodes"? Does that mean that all encodes will not sync? Or does that mean that encodes will not sync only for the iPod 5G?

Also, why does the Large file size have the disclaimer "This will likely break device compatibility with all but the Apple TV Take 2"?
Deleted User 11865

The tooltips are badly outdated.
rubaiyat

Post by rubaiyat »

As a suggestion towards simplification, how about a short set of qualitatively labeled presets in which the suitable devices are listed in the description (and kept up to date).

That should remove most of the doubt and confusion.