ATV2 is playing 1080p too ???

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jbjoret
Enlightened

ATV2 is playing 1080p too ???

Post by jbjoret »

Hi all, I just had a strange experience. I currently only have an ATV2, but I started to encode my Blu-Rays into 1080p using the High Profile. After that I tag the .m4v file using Subler (with the Movie/HD Tag). Then I first started to play a movie from my ATV2 and just wondered why It was playing the movie (even perfectly) since it was encoded as a 1080p High Profile. Can some of you try out and confirm that I am not crazy ?

Cheers,
J.B.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: ATV2 is playing 1080p too ???

Post by nightstrm »

It is scaling to 720p, but yes lots of us have had a similar experience since updating to the latest version of the AppleTV software.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

The ATV2 has always attempted to play 1080p content by rescaling to 720p but until the latest firmware update was unable to do so without dropping frames.
IrishPrince

Post by IrishPrince »

jbjoret wrote:Hi all, I just had a strange experience. I currently only have an ATV2, but I started to encode my Blu-Rays into 1080p using the High Profile. After that I tag the .m4v file using Subler (with the Movie/HD Tag). Then I first started to play a movie from my ATV2 and just wondered why It was playing the movie (even perfectly) since it was encoded as a 1080p High Profile. Can some of you try out and confirm that I am not crazy ?
I recently ripped my purchased Blu-Ray version of HUGO using MakeMKV and encoding it with HandBrake using "normal" with a CF=22. After tagging it with Subler, the output plays perfectly on my ATV2 and ATV3. Overall size was well under 5GB and the "normal" encodes are much, much faster than the High Profile. For me the extra encode time is not worth using the High Profile.
-IP