AppleTV 3 - AC3 track is not detected

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Diveflo

AppleTV 3 - AC3 track is not detected

Post by Diveflo »

Hi,

this is not directly about Handbrake but closely related.
I just got my new Apple TV 3 (had the original one (not v2!) before that) and had to discover that the new Apple TV does not recognize my AC3 tracks.
Whenever I did not use Handbrake, because the video itself was already compatible with the AppleTV, I did it by remuxing.
I used eac3to to demux the original file into it's components (.h264 & .ac3) and also to convert the .ac3 into an .aac track.
Then I would use mp4box to remux it all together:

Code: Select all

mp4box.exe" -add "output.h264:fps=23.976" -add "output.aac.m4a:fps=23.976" -add "output.ac3:fps=23.976" -new "%%I-new.m4v"
This worked perfectly for my old Apple TV, but with the new one I don't even get the option to chose the AC3 track (the .AAC track playes fine).
I compared a file I created with Handbrake (those still work perfectly!) with my own creations (via. MediaInfo) and only found 2 differences:
Codec ID: mp42 (in Handbrake) vs. M4V
Format Profile: Base Media / Version 2 (in Handbrake) vs. empty

I also checked with subler (on my mac) and adjusted my files (same tracks selected, same alternate group, language settings etc.) and also did "optimization" (it interleaves the tracks apparently), but nothing helped.

Do you have any suggestions what I could try to do?

Thank you all in advance
mduell
Veteran User

Re: AppleTV 3 - AC3 track is not detected

Post by mduell »

Post the MediaInfo output.
omni

Post by omni »

Not sure if this will help but I'll just throw this out there:

I was having issues with my appletv2 not playing one of my ac3 tracks also (I suspect part 3 works closely to how part 2 works) while it worked fine on my part 1. Anyways my issue on this 1 file was the ordering of the tracks.

Using subler it displayed them something along the lines of:
1 video
2 AAC
5 chapter
6 ac3

Or something like that. I solved it by importing the the tracks into a new mp4 in the correct order which solved it.
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

omni wrote: Or something like that. I solved it by importing the the tracks into a new mp4 in the correct order which solved it.
What is the "correct order?"

I've encountered a similar problem with my encodes that played fine on my ATV/ATV2 but not my iPad (would transfer over but not play). Some deeper investigation found that it was only certain files and the common factor was the order of the tracks in the container.

I've been curious as to what -- if anything -- is the proper order that is expected.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

AAC first, AC3 second. If you have multiple languages, that would be AAC (lang 1), AC3 (lang 1), AAC (lang 2), AC3 (lang 2), etc.
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

Much obliged. Thank you!